Not sure why my decapping pins are getting bent....

50 BMG, Collet, and steel reloading dies plus the Factory Crimp Dies. Also, discussions concerning the Deluxe, Pacesetter, and RGB die sets.
trashysquid
My Press Choice: Turret

Not sure why my decapping pins are getting bent....

Post by trashysquid »

OK Lee Gods,

I've bent three decapping pins in my Lee .308 dies over the past two weeks, and I can't figure out why. I don't use Berdan-primed brass, so I know it's not that. I can't see anything that's out of alignment, and like I said, everything has been fine using that die until fairly recently. Any ideas? :roll: Thanks.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Not sure why my decapping pins are getting bent....

Post by Fyodor »

The only reason they can bend is when they hit the case head instead of the hole. I bent one so far, and that was a clear indicator that the shellplate was out of alignment. I use a pro1000, which press do you use for decapping? Please give a short description of your process and tools used.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I've not seen cheap .308 brass but flash holes don't always line up the way they should. Agree it could be the case not centered in the shell holder or plate. Make sure the case enters the die body straight.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I see trashy's preference is the turret press so it is possible the issue is turret head alignment with the ram. Which turret do you have trashysquid?
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Ranch Dog wrote:I see trashy's preference is the turret press so it is possible the issue is turret head alignment with the ram. Which turret do you have trashysquid?
Good point as mine is starting to give me fits after 2 years of use and about 2500 rounds through it. So it's time to change that 50 cent part Lee sells.

Je suis Charlie
trashysquid

Post by trashysquid »

Fyodor wrote:The only reason they can bend is when they hit the case head instead of the hole. I bent one so far, and that was a clear indicator that the shellplate was out of alignment. I use a pro1000, which press do you use for decapping? Please give a short description of your process and tools used.
I use a four-hole Lee Classic turret. I use the sizing die to decap my brass, which is always commercial (RP/PMC/WIN/FC). I don't recall doing anything to the press to knock it out of alignment (if it's that), but I did disassemble my .308 die set recently to clean it since it sees so much use. I do tighten the pins in my dies down pretty good, because I've had troubles in the past with the pins slipping up through the collet fairly easily, or getting stuck inside the brass. Thoughts?
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

The only other thing that comes to mind is the flash hole may be to small for the pin. Happened to to someone on a different forum, can't remember the case or caliber he had.
Je suis Charlie
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Her is the link see if this might be it.

http://ammobrasstrader.gunloads.com/for ... 30-!-Speer!
Je suis Charlie
trashysquid

Post by trashysquid »

This is intriguing, chevy....I might have to check the flash holes in the brass I listed. But what I don't get is how this brass may now be a problem after rolling a couple hundred cartridges with no problems up until now.

And as a side note, my very first car was a 1974 Chevy Monte Carlo...I remember seeing the gas tank needle move when I floored it!
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

LOL my brother in law bought one in 74. Did several tune ups on it till he smashed it into a brick building in 78. And being a Cop in NYC he got rushed home and no one knew a thing. They can't do that so much now days.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Rifle”