Not sure why my decapping pins are getting bent....

50 BMG, Collet, and steel reloading dies plus the Factory Crimp Dies. Also, discussions concerning the Deluxe, Pacesetter, and RGB die sets.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Not sure why my decapping pins are getting bent....

Post by Fyodor »

Well, if you use the sizing die to decap, the brass should be aligned by force if necessary, so I guess it's the brass, not the press that causes this problem.

On your next order, buy a few replacement decapping pins. They're inexpensive, don't use much space, and as soon as the one in use sees that he will be replaced when not working properly, he's going to behave better ;)
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Flash holes. I use a K&M tool to correct every piece of brass I acquire. I recently bought 1K Rem 38 Spl cases. Without the correction they are enough off center that the decapper cuts another hole through the edge of the off centered cut!
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Remington is having a lot of issues with quality control. makes ya not want to buy any thing Remington.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

62chevy wrote:Remington is having a lot of issues with quality control. makes ya not want to buy any thing Remington.
Pinching every penny and quality goes right out the door.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

It's not a recent thing either. A buddy brought me 100 empty 3006 from his rifle 1 lot according to his factory boxes . 2005 lot I think . I manged to get 1 lot of 40 that scaled plus or minus 1.5 gr of the center weight out of the 100. I think they were 192-195 gr ,with aberrations as low as 182 and up to 205. 22 gr of brass is a lot of case space . I couldn't believe they were from a single lot let alone possibly the same box.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

The only thing that has saved Remington's bacon is the buy anything gun over the last few years. It's easing up a bit except for 22s and reloading supplies, mostly powders.
Je suis Charlie
trashysquid

Post by trashysquid »

Ranch Dog wrote:Flash holes. I use a K&M tool to correct every piece of brass I acquire. I recently bought 1K Rem 38 Spl cases. Without the correction they are enough off center that the decapper cuts another hole through the edge of the off centered cut!
Thanks much, Ranch Dog, for pointing me in the direction of K&M Tool. I immediately ordered one of those, because I think all of the suggestions about misaligned flash holes may be right. I haven't changed anything about my routine (other than adding a micrometer to both my Uniflows, something I should have done long ago), so it has to be that. I will have to pay closer attention to the brass lots I use when I'm actually rolling, but this tool will rule out one variable. Sweet!
trashysquid

Post by trashysquid »

trashysquid wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:Flash holes. I use a K&M tool to correct every piece of brass I acquire. I recently bought 1K Rem 38 Spl cases. Without the correction they are enough off center that the decapper cuts another hole through the edge of the off centered cut!
Thanks much, Ranch Dog, for pointing me in the direction of K&M Tool. I immediately ordered one of those, because I think all of the suggestions about misaligned flash holes may be right. I haven't changed anything about my routine (other than adding a micrometer to both my Uniflows, something I should have done long ago), so it has to be that. I will have to pay closer attention to the brass lots I use when I'm actually rolling, but this tool will rule out one variable. Sweet!
Quick update upon receipt of this tool. In brief, I'm amazed at how out of alignment/spec flash holes can be. I picked up just one piece of brass to test this tool out, and wow...this tool cut out a good amount of brass to ensure the hole was uniform. Looks like I'll be adding a step to my rifle processing from now on, after decapping on my Reloader press. As a bonus, this additional step I'm adding gives me an excuse to get that Lee Hand Press kit I've been wanting, so I can decap and size both the brass and the flash holes while sitting in the living room...talk about multitasking! Thanks again, Ranch Dog, for suggesting this great tool.
number1wrench
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by number1wrench »

When you use this tool to repair off center flash holes are the flash holes still within reasonable size or are they borderline or too large?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

trashysquid wrote: Thanks again, Ranch Dog, for suggesting this great tool.
You're welcome.
number1wrench wrote:When you use this tool to repair off center flash holes are the flash holes still within reasonable size or are they borderline or too large?
They look and measure like a normal .080" flash hole after the work. I think the off center hole, it is slightly off center, is really under diameter and rough. You know you are trimming something for sure.
Michael

Return to “Rifle”