25-06 AI

50 BMG, Collet, and steel reloading dies plus the Factory Crimp Dies. Also, discussions concerning the Deluxe, Pacesetter, and RGB die sets.
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

25-06 AI

Post by orerancher »

How 'Hard' are Lee Dies?

I wonder if a 25-06 FL Sizing Die could be Opened Up to Ackley Improved with a Chamber Ream....
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 25-06 AI

Post by RBHarter »

I relieved the crimp step in a seating die to accommodate paper patch for a .007 mildcat . I don't think a chamber reamer without annealing the die first will get it done unless you plan on buying the reamer outright .

For the cost of the reamer you can send CH4D 3 fired cases and they will make a custom sizer that will give you .002 on the shoulder and body with .003 on the neck for desired bullet dia . I have a set for 32 Rem with the correct shoulder shape . No offense to Lee , I have lots of theirs too , but wow the difference is real .

If you're going to spend $100 to fix a die , about the going rate for a reamer , you may as well spend the other $20 bucks for a custom/special order die . I'm hard headed and it took me a long time to see the light .

One other thing a chamber reamer will be too big for the sizing die . The high rent bench rest guys buy three reamers . A roughing reamer , die reamer , and a chamber reamer . The roughing is smaller than the die reamer generally a new sharpened die reamer from production lines . The die reamer cuts about .003 under on the net sizes for the chamber to allow for lap to finish size . The idea being that the sizer only barely bumps enough to have bullet release clearance and a soft contact bolt closure that's identical every time .

So information overload .....
The Huntingtons , the people that make all of the RCBS dies may have a full set available but they are , last time I looked $140 complete with the forever warranty . CH4D is about the same for the match quality finished sizer and seater made to your fired cases . In the good times they have about a 2week turn around .

I bought the 32 Rem dies 2nd hand .

See if the fired cases will slip fit in a 308 die . I might have something that will work for you .
Check a drawing between the 25-06AI and a 257 Roberts AI . I have a set of 6.5/257R AI dies that give a finished neck ID without the expander ball at .255 from RP 257Roberts brass . If the shoulder angle is the same as 308 I have a set of 25 Souper dies which is just a 308 necked to .257 . Either or both would give you neck , 3/4 body length sizing and shoulder bump , with due caution of course as they are both a lot shorter than the 06' . The Roberts is on a 7×57 case .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Re: 25-06 AI

Post by orerancher »

Thanks for the Reply!
As Luck would Have It...I got an Email from Midway this Morning....They Have the AI FL Die Set back in Stock.
I'll Get a Set and See How It Goes...

As Far as the 'Custom Die Makers" I've been Talkin to Them the Past Couple Months, about a 9.3x57 Set....
They all said 12-14Monthes....

Thanks Again!

Return to “Rifle”