7.7 Japanese help .

50 BMG, Collet, and steel reloading dies plus the Factory Crimp Dies. Also, discussions concerning the Deluxe, Pacesetter, and RGB die sets.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

7.7 Japanese help .

Post by RBHarter »

They strike again this time in a type 99 Sporter .

The situation .
The groove dia is .316 so for cast I need at least a .318 and it takes .320 to fill the throat . This ensures a gas seal and lead bullets are no match for 20-45kpsi so no worries there .

The current die set sizes for the spec .310/.312 jacketed bullets so it takes the neck down to and ID of .306 and back up to .309 . A new expander ball is a great idea except it's been a couple of years since Herters stopped selling dies . I can just make an expander of course but it's hard on the brass .

What I need .......
I need someone or several to pull the expander out of really any 8mm with a 2-2.25 case length , size and measure the neck dia . An 8×57 would be ideal . I need a neck OD of .344 ideal under is better than over .

I'm considering an RGB set as my actual chamber is closer to the 8×57 than spec for 7.7x58 .

Ps ;
Titan Reloading has set up a life time discount club that takes Email attached orders back to I think April 2017 for values with a how much you've spent discount scale . I think its stepped at ;
$100 @1%
$500 @2%
$1000@3%
$5000@5%
I missed a step ...... Its not much but it doesn't take much to get to the first step and it's not a huge discount but they already sell well under MSRP .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Re: 7.7 Japanese help .

Post by orerancher »

I "Neck" Size My 7.7 in a Lee FL Die with the Decapper Rod Removed.... Then Expand the Neck back up with a NOE Expander... I also use a .320 Cast Bullet,to Fit the Throat....

No Problems Yet....
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I think I have a solution .
A guy on Castboolits must have bought a truck load of NOS CH dies someplace . He's been selling them off all summer many in unusual cartridges that are not easy to find in good times like 38 Short/Colts NP/S&W/38-200 . He has an 8×57 neck die that I can reduce the expander a little bit on and be happy .......I hope .
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Success I hope . The CH neck die is on the way tested by the seller and described ;
" I neck sized a piece of we 8mm brass without the expander stem and the Inside diameter was .307 and the outside diameter was .340. With the expander stem the inside dia was .318 and the outside was .346."

I have secured a reamer of .313 to take the body pushed up to neck hump out at least part of it .it occurs to me that I only have a math OD for the 7.7 that works .

I guess I never really gave much thought to how much sizing might move necks . I have had several cartridges that I made expanders for but never really looked at the minimum dia . After seeing this dies dimensions and having had a 257 Roberts , 25-06 and a 6.5-257 AI sharing a.neck it wouldn't surprise me to fine that the 270&280 dies were the same die with different expanders in them .

I'm going to resolve this with cost cutting measures and let it go .

Return to “Rifle”