Need a specialty die from a standard

50 BMG, Collet, and steel reloading dies plus the Factory Crimp Dies. Also, discussions concerning the Deluxe, Pacesetter, and RGB die sets.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Need a specialty die from a standard

Post by RBHarter »

So my train wreck goes like this .
6.5 Japanese nominal .257×.268 barrel that will swallow a .280 dia bullet and chamber freely with a .275 seated . At the end of it all I need to only size the necks down to .270 or so vs .261 that the standard dies do .

Failure ..... There's no 27-08 well there is but I don't need a form/trim die or a $120 2 die set . The Japanese is bigger than the 7-30 in dia . Hornady offers a bushing neck die for 6.5 CM , 260 , and 7-08 ..... But then I have to buy 3-4 bushings , thankfully those are half of of Redding . That brings me to the Lee collet sizers and turning a custom pin . Those are at the moment available for 7-08 and one or the other of the 6.5s .

The question is now is are the 6.5 collets big enough to get a .298 neck in and size to .294 OD or will the 7mm go that far down ?

If someone has a 7-08 standard sizer and could run 1x or annealed case in it sans the expander that would help for guidance . At a $1 a case in good times for the Japanese brass I have to make them last .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Need a specialty die from a standard

Post by RBHarter »

As occasionally happens ........ I dumb lucked into the right place at the right moment .
In a few days I should have a Hornady universal 6.5 neck die .

I'm not at all sure how or if it will work for me but if it is the bushing style then the bushings are available all the way up to .290 for 6.5 . I can get 2 and lap one up to fit the need .
It may be an adjustable type . Some days it's good to be lucky I guess .
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I received the fancy pants sizer and tried it out ......no joy ......
I saw a set of standard dies for sale , I will try to find them again and hog out the neck or maybe try to open this neck die up some . Expanders skip over my desired dia by a fair measure .
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Howdy RB, Sent you a PM
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

As an up date .......

Among other things that I tried .
A 6.5 Lee trim die ..... That baby will swallow a 7mm neck and a fat at that .
I scored a 270 WSM neck die .......yeah ok it'll probably work with the 6.8 so not a complete loss .

I was this ] [ close to dropping coin on a call to CH and sending cases for a set of custom made dies or at least a sizer when a hobbist lathe guy offered to make a neck sizer bushing for an existing die . I rooted around and only found 2 candidates neither suitable really . So he makes a body for the sizer bushing ...... The first of which was too big unless I use blown neck/shoulder x57 or 06' brass where I'd have heavy necks . So he made another , and then a 3rd .....
I paid the man his asking price which honestly wasn't enough to pay for his mat'l and time for set up , maybe one and certainly not his skills . It looks like a pretty nice die and I'm looking forward to trying it out .7
KIMG0002.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Die adjustment is important ...... The new fancy bushing seater works beautifully . It has to be set up a lot higher than anticipated . When used with a high leverage like a Big Max shoulder bump was a non-issue . In fact the lever weight alone did all of the work . It's not a real "feely" press . I didn't move the low shoulder but the neck length is a thing of wonder .
KIMG0015~3.JPG

Return to “Rifle”