Collet Neck Sizing Dies have left the bench.

50 BMG, Collet, and steel reloading dies plus the Factory Crimp Dies. Also, discussions concerning the Deluxe, Pacesetter, and RGB die sets.
Iowa Fox
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Collet Neck Sizing Dies have left the bench.

Post by Iowa Fox »

They have indeed left the bench sadly. In 2019 Lee made a decision to shorten the collet leaving part of the neck un sized. For 85% of the users they will not notice a difference. It was a gut punch for the remaining 15%.

I found that if you used the original die coupled with a Redding body die used each time it produced the finest reloaded rounds for precision shooting possible out performing dies at any cost. One of the biggest problems is the instructions packaged with the die is not correct for set up and use. 25 foot pounds of pressure on the press lever is way to much. This is why Lee received so many complaints about blowing the aluminum cap out. I also think most folks don't have a feel for 25 pounds often exceeding this by a lot. With the collet and collet sleeve properly lubed I found 13-15 pounds does a very fine job for me.

Another attribute of the collet die is used with good brass you could eliminate neck skim turning and at my age I hate neck turning if I don't have to even though all the stuff is setting here to do it.

I tried to get Lee to make me a original length collet and pay whatever they wanted but no luck. They would consider making one a a custom die but wanted 2 fired cases and bullets. By the time I got the barrel screwed on the action to come up with 2 fired cases they quit taking custom orders so skunked again.

I thought maybe I could find one by posting a want to buy ad on the forms but no luck. All I want is a old style collet or die in 6mm Creedmoor. Ranchdog you had a good post with excellent pictures of the collet die.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Collet Neck Sizing Dies have left the bench.

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sorry, I'm late to this, been out with home (move), family, and work again. I've finally come to peace with the dies, but they are a disappointment.
Michael
jwfilips
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by jwfilips »

Wow.... Sure sorry to hear this ! I love those dies but I found to use them the right way took patience and experience ( Not the instructions!)
I have a set for each Rifle caliber (at least 7) I shoot, and the have made my rifles more accurate with cast bullets! I really hate when things change...But alas, I'm Old!
Jim
" Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - G. Washington,
56th Rule
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

jwfilips wrote:............... I really hate when things change...But alas, I'm Old!.....

now that I can relate too :)

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

I wish this had been posted before I bought one for 7.62X54R and then had to buy the NS628 mandrel because I am using cast bullets. I just got my NOE mold and cast and powder coated them yesterday. I plan to load them subsonic with 700x powder. I have drilled out the flash holes with a #30 drill bit to stop shoulder setback.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

mr surveyor wrote:
jwfilips wrote:............... I really hate when things change...But alas, I'm Old!.....

now that I can relate too :)

jd
Me too, jd.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Iowa Fox

Post by Iowa Fox »

jwfilips wrote:Wow.... Sure sorry to hear this ! I love those dies but I found to use them the right way took patience and experience ( Not the instructions!)
I have a set for each Rifle caliber (at least 7) I shoot, and the have made my rifles more accurate with cast bullets! I really hate when things change...But alas, I'm Old!
Jim

If you are a cast bullet shooter you will be fine with the new style. In fact you may prefer them as they do leave a natural flare at the end of the case neck. If you are old we are probably the same age Lol.
Iowa Fox

Post by Iowa Fox »

This vid is a good one. It shows one of the reasons why I like that original style die so well. I accidentally discovered the die helps uniform neck thickness before I found this video from fortune cookie.

jwfilips
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by jwfilips »

Interesting video But I guess I have been doing it that way since I started using the collet neck dies (?)
And yes all of my collet dies have custom turned mandrils because I only shoot cast bullets. Most have been made by Lee's custom shop to my specs...But I did have a local machinist that made me a few at no charge : )
All my Rifles have custom sized Lee Collet dies. I love them
" Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - G. Washington,
56th Rule

Return to “Rifle”