ABLP 4000 vs Lee App slider assist

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
travisLoader
My Press Choice: Progressive

ABLP 4000 vs Lee App slider assist

Post by travisLoader »

Sorry I couldnt find a similar post through some searches. The main question is in the 3rd paragraph below with the *.
I jumped into a breach lock pro or a pro 4000 and have done some loading so far, only 45 acp so far so large casings and 230 gr bullets. Works just fine for the most part, however I spend so much time picking up dropped bullets or dropped shell casings that were going flying out and constantly disturbing the rhythem. The bullet feed I believe I fixed to stop dropping these big heavy bullets with a tiny bit of tape to keep a tiny bit better tension in the arms. I also ordered hornady bullet feeding dies bc of the problem.

The bigger problem though is the shell casings flying out due to the pressure of too much weight on top of each when it goes to press them out. I have read maybe it doesnt effect 9mm as much as the bigger casings but for 45 it is a real pain in the ass. I have gotten some sheet metal and am making a clip with a ruberband to try to hold them in place as they come out but it got me thinking.

** Is there any reason the Lee APP slider assist wont work on the ABLP? It looks like a completely better design that you can grab the bottom of the casing by while it slides into the press. I assume they had to not use it on either of the pros for some reason probably dimension reasons but it looks pretty close to me. Havnt ever seen a Lee App in person but was surprised no one has tried this on Youtube or something yet. If anyone knows why this wouldnt work please share, was about to buy an assembly and try it anyways.

Thanks
travisLoader
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: ABLP 4000 vs Lee App slider assist

Post by travisLoader »

Just an update for anyone wondering in the future. It does fit but the problem is it uses a hook instead of a screw for the spring. I melted the hook a bit to lodge the spring in and it does work but I was just over fidling with the press in general and went back to the standard ABLP black pusher. Still thinking of how I can possibly improve with some 3d prints as the cases flying off the track is still my number one pet peeve along with the indexing clutch getting burnt out every 1000 rounds or so.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: ABLP 4000 vs Lee App slider assist

Post by GasGuzzler »

I was impressed with my APP until I wasn't. Maybe the ABLP is the same.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Progressive”