OAL on the Loadmaster press

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

OAL on the Loadmaster press

Post by horseman »

There's an "issue" with the LM press, I've known about it for a long time but just never worried about it much, I just allow for it through the process. The issue is OAL. When I set up my dies I run one case at a time through the sequence setting everything as I want. Then I'll run several more through singly to reaffirm. What I find when I set my seating die for, lets say 1.250 for 45 ball ran through singly, (they come out at 1.250) when I go full auto the loaded rounds come out at 1.260, all except the last two, they will be as originally set 1.250. So my simple remedy has always been run a dummy to 1.240, run through the batch then catch the final two rounds before seating and adjust for those. These OAL numbers I'm giving here are actually what I use but they will vary a couple thousandths but I do measure every one and they never vary more that .03. The only reason I'm even bringing this up is I can't figure out why the heck this is happening. I even have and use one of Magic Mikes plates on top of the die plate and I do believe this helps somewhat with the consistency of the others, it's just that last two that bewilder me. Anybody else run into this, ideas ? :idea: Like I said it's not a "critical" issue, I just allow for the last couple rounds. More just curious.

edit to add: .10 is quite a big difference I'm thinkin'....
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Re: OAL on the Loadmaster press

Post by horseman »

Thought I would do a bit more "investigating" so went over the the old Load Master forum (where I am/have been a member for many years. Looked up OAL "issues" with the LM and found many posts on the subject that are identical to what I mentioned with some things to try. One that caught my eye was backing out the seating die just in case of different sized cases stopping the carrier at different heights. Could be. I tried doing that and what I found was that raising the seating die allowed me to screw the adjustment screw much farther in which seemed to "tighten" up the threads so there was little to no movement on that piece. I had noticed some before doing that. Also backed out the priming depth a bit. Lowered the three dies making contact with the shell plate 1/4 (ish) turn each. . I also use Magic Mikes die plate stabilizer and tightened that up a bit more. These (all or one, don't really know) managed to get me within .05 overall. I could possibly find a bit more with more adjusting but I'm good with .05 difference. Maybe this will help others in search of.... +guns

I'm going to run another 50 through the press today to reaffirm these measurements. Can always use another box of 230gr FMJ ammo.. :D
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

So raise the seat die body then lower the seat plug within the seat die? Sounds reasonable.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
SWBuckeye
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by SWBuckeye »

I would love to have .05" on my loadmaster. Mine have been .10" to .15" at times when using rn coated. Ranch Dog shared a set up I am going to try the next time I load, hopefully soon when my projectiles show up.
Do you feel the Magic Mike parts really help? I have considered them but thought they were pricey for my budget.

SWBuckeye
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

SWBuckeye wrote:I would love to have .05" on my loadmaster. Mine have been .10" to .15" at times when using rn coated. Ranch Dog shared a set up I am going to try the next time I load, hopefully soon when my projectiles show up.
Do you feel the Magic Mike parts really help? I have considered them but thought they were pricey for my budget.

SWBuckeye

If you get that much difference my first thought would be the bullets. I've never coated or used coated bullets but from what I've seen of them it would "appear" that it wouldn't be easy to get the coating that even between bullets. Five thousandths is only a sheet of paper thickness.

Magic Mike's "stuff" is well made, also has some good reading on his site as to the LM press. The die plate stabilizer's were "only" about 10 bucks last one's I bought, I think they help with die plate movement and will "clock" the die plate to the shell plate. Also if you use one you can remove the "lock nut" on the die plate but that ain't a biggie. Does make removing the die plate a bit more work when changing calibers though. I've not checked how much difference they may make, but they can't hurt anything that's for sure.

Ranch Dog has a lot of experience and knows his stuff so his setup should help you.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Know this is going to sound like Capt Obvious but , why not just run 3 prep cases w/o bullets to clear the last 2 and have continued uniform shell plate loading until the last 2 complete rounds exit ?
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

RBHarter wrote:Know this is going to sound like Capt Obvious but , why not just run 3 prep cases w/o bullets to clear the last 2 and have continued uniform shell plate loading until the last 2 complete rounds exit ?

That would be to easy....where's the "fun" in that.... :lol:
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Further along on this today. Just finished loading 50 rounds of 230fmj 45acp on the LM. The only thing I did "different" this time (other than what I mentioned earlier) was give them all a shot of Hornady One Shot to ease the sizing effort. Ran the press full auto and measured each one as it was spit out. OAL was set at 1.250. Only one was more than .05 out (long) it was 1.258. One round at 1.255 two at 1.247-8. Most were within .02 of target but a few up to .04. I'd say that was about excellent results. No guarantee that this will be the "norm" but I'm not going to worry about it much.....as I go forward I will always check a few as they come out (I always do) but I'm pretty confident It's good to go. ;)

I "deflared" them with the carbide factory CRIMP die to .471.......Larry,, :lol:
tunaman
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by tunaman »

Go to Mikes Reloading Bench.com and buy a couple of his Custom Billet Turrets. They will get your OAL down to .001 or better. There is nothing else to say. Get these before they are gone forever. Makes your loadmaster a different machine.

Return to “Progressive”