primers feeding sideways

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
piratepast40
My Press Choice: Progressive

primers feeding sideways

Post by piratepast40 »

Haven't used the LoadMaster press for several years so cleaned and lubed it up. Ran about 150 rounds of 9mm with no problems and then the primers started messing up. The tray and trough seem to be operating normally with primers right side up in the trough and feed properly when it's working correctly. All of a sudden the press started locking up. The primer anvil would be stuck in the up position with a primer wedged sideways between the anvil and primer mechanism. Remove the shell plate and pry out the primer. I've removed the anvil and spring and cleaned everything up. Did not see anything abnormal. Primers seat at the proper depth and look perfect when it works. It works again for 5-10 rounds or so and then starts the same thing again. When it jams, it appears that there is another primer waiting to be pushed into place or is being pushed into place on the anvil causing the one in front of it to be pushed sideways and jammed by the anvil. I am decapping on the press and have always done so in the past.

I've never had this problem with the press in the past and had run about 15k rounds of mixed brass 9mm. Purchased this press in 2015 and it has the most current primer assembly. Any suggestions or recommendations?
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: primers feeding sideways

Post by horseman »

That is the same issue (along with a few upside down) that I was going through last night. The press seemed to be working okay after installing a new priming trough but still need to run some more through it to be sure. I was just pre-priming brass, something I have never done on the LM, but did not have any issues while actually reloading ammunition earlier. More "testing" to come.

EDIT: think I'll pull the shell plate carrier and check it, make sure nothing is amiss there. May also drill and tap a set screw for the priming arm for adjustment of the priming pin. Use a 6-28 hex screw. This is something that Mike's reloading bench did on his "mods". I had one and it seemed to help a lot on that particular press.
piratepast40

Post by piratepast40 »

My thought was to go ahead and replace the primer assembly and shell plate. At about 15k rounds, it may be time to just replace them rather than messing with them. I've seen that as a possible resolution on several threads. Unfortunately, FS Reloading web site is messed up when trying to complete an order. I'll look around on Amazon to try to find them but the price is considerably higher going that route.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

piratepast40 wrote:My thought was to go ahead and replace the primer assembly and shell plate. At about 15k rounds, it may be time to just replace them rather than messing with them. I've seen that as a possible resolution on several threads. Unfortunately, FS Reloading web site is messed up when trying to complete an order. I'll look around on Amazon to try to find them but the price is considerably higher going that route.
Don't think I'd be worried about the shell plate. I just ordered some priming parts through Midway, free shipping over 49 bucks. My order came to 55. I also doubt I had run 15,000 rounds through the primer trough I replaced, maybe half that, but it's more than possible something got "buggered" up when I started just priming 9mm brass. 9MM is without a doubt the most difficult round to load I've seen. A lot of cheap crappy brass shows up from the range. Head stamps I've never heard of in this last batch.
piratepast40

Post by piratepast40 »

I was also able to order through Midway. Parts on the way.
piratepast40

Post by piratepast40 »

Took the primer trough assembly and thoroughly cleaned it. Ran about 150 rounds through and it started messing up again. Started watching closely and periodically, the brass would not push the lever arm back far enough. Sometimes the arm actually jumped off of the pin on the feeder mechanism. Took it apart again and brushed and cleaned everything. The arm seemed sticky so I started backing out the attachment screw to reduce the tension. Found a place where the arm would move freely and still move the post for the feeder.

Will see how this works and report back. New assembly is on the way but wanted to work on this to get a better idea of what is actually going on.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

I always put a bit of vaseline on the O ring and you're right, snug is enough. Also check to make sure the primer actuating arm isn't rubbing on the case retainer, rare but has happened. One issue I found with mine was the primer trough was to tight in the housing on the shell plate carrier. The primer pin spring wouldn't "push" the trough up when you installed the trough all the way to the bottom over the pin and spring. It should move up and down a bit when the shell plate is removed and the case retainer is out of the way. I am guessing that it didn't allow the primer pin freedom of movment. So, I cleaned the primer pin cavity really well and lightly sanded the end of the trough that installs inside the housing and over the pin. That seemed to solve the issue. Explains why the new trough worked. Guess it "needs" to be able to have a bit of movement available there. That is the only time I can remember when a primer trough was that tight when installed, if any thing I've had a few that were to loose and I had to put a small strip of tape on the back side of them for a better fit so they wouldn't "rock" back and forth.
piratepast40

Post by piratepast40 »

Took the assembly apart again and checked for rough areas. I did find a little bit at the base of the trough and was able to clean that up with a fingernail file. Put a little vaseline on the o-ring and also the post and socket. Used a pencil to put graphite on the feeder travel area and the bottom of the shuttle. Seems really smooth now. Still had a few flipped primers and a misfeed in about 1 in 30-40 cases. It's useable this way but still need to watch it operate on every cycle.

The new feed assembly arrived today and I'll try it out tomorrow.

Return to “Progressive”