Lee Auto Breech lock press is a PITA

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
Neutron
My Press Choice: Turret

Lee Auto Breech lock press is a PITA

Post by Neutron »

I thought I had this press figured out. After a brutal start with this thing, I finally got to where I was successfully producing ammo, albeit slowly. I think I'm faster with the turret press. It seems there is always a glitch somewhere that kills any time saved with this press. Either the case feeder tips over a case as it's deposited or dispenses one upside down or the safety primer is a little misaligned so the primer drops on the floor, or the bullet doesn't go into the case without scraping some copper plating up the side of the bullet or about half dozen other mishaps that foul this thing up. Yes I know some of it is my fault like forgetting to prime a cartridge or forgetting to place a bullet, but there seem to be so many things that go wrong that I get distracted from one step or another. Last night it was bullets getting stuck in the bullet seating die and the FCD as well. I had to pull them apart and clean them and put a little case lube in them to get things going again. I didn't think I had to lube the dies since they are Lee carbide dies, but I guess I do. I lube the cases before putting them into the case feeder so I thought that would take care of the lube issue. Without lube the press seemed very difficult to pull the handle when all four positions were full. One at a time works great but what is the sense of having a progressive press if you have to do one at a time? I've run about 400-500 rounds through the press and I've had about every issue possible so maybe I've turned the corner and my next session won't be as bad. Anyone else in the same boat with this press?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Lee Auto Breech lock press is a PITA

Post by Ranch Dog »

I don't have ABL press, but the Load-Masters have tested my metal. With them, I went back to the basics of the setup and ran a single cartridge through them until I saw what was happening and why it might not be working with multiple cases. I started with one Load-Master and now have four loading 12 different cartridges.

What I would suggest from that experience, is to make sure it is set up to the instructions, I suspect you have done that, and then just run a single case/cartridge through it until you are satisfied with any adjustments. My general impression from your post would pay close attention to the press indexing. Make sure it is absolutely correct.

Do not use any case or bullet feeders, only adding them after everything is operating satisfactorily. Honestly, I found that it might be nothing to do with the press, and some of my problems were the "rhythm of operation." I can see where the Safety Prime and placing a bullet on a case could interrupt the flow.

Make sure that the Powder Through Expander die is set up correctly, something is wrong there if you are shaving the bullet with the case mouth.

No doubt you can feel the multiple cases making die contact, the LM has five stations. What I did to ease the feel is starting tumbling my brass with Lyman's Corn Cob Plus media. The "Plus" in the product is as good as wax, and the cases offer little resistance to the dies.
Michael
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

I loaded 40 rounds in about 20 minutes last night. They all loaded without a hitch. I'm hoping I've figured out most of what can go wrong with this press. I hand loaded the case feeder instead of using the collator to make sure all were facing the right direction, made sure I had primers and powder loaded up,and just took it slowly to make sure each one was correct. I don't know how some people claim to get 300 rounds per hour out of this press. I'm thinking 100-150 is about my max, not that I'm trying to set any speed records.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

I believe there is a post or 3 on here somewhere, about a part you can add inside the
case colator that helps with that flipped case problem???
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

The easy fix for the case collator. Take a penny and drill a 1/4 inch hole in the middle of it. ( start with a 1/16 or 1/8 inch bit first) . Push a fired 22LR case through the hole and put it into the 1/4 inch hole in the top of the collator. I have not gotten an upside down case in several thousand 9mm's.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've made them out of a plastic bowl/tub lid. I used a coffee mug to draw the outline and then cut it out with scissors. I placed it over the collorator's ports and marked the center and the center of each port. I used a 25 Auto case to cut the center hole for a large, short machine screw (it was in my Lee hardware box), and a 41 Mag case to cut the portholes. It took less than five minutes.

I bought this 3D adaptor from Titan Reloading, but they are not listed anymore.

One thing I would recommend for multi-tube case and bullet feeders are the Titan Tube Harness. Two per assembly will stiffen the feeder and prevent them from swaying with the motion of the press. I use three with rifle cases.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:I bought this 3D adaptor from Titan Reloading, but they are not listed anymore.

It wasn't Titan, I had them printed from Thingverse.

3D Printed Collator Adapter for 9mm Luger

In the topic, I indicate that I had three of them printed. Let me see which presses are using them.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Neutron, what cartridge are you loading?
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I had to look at my presses. The 3D printed adapter is used with the 25, 32, & 380 Auto. It was claimed to be for the 9mm Luger, but the cases barely flow through it. I use my plastic lid adapter for the 9mm Luger and Makarov and the holes were cut with a 41 Mag case (I think anything close will work).
Michael
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

Ranch Dog wrote:Neutron, what cartridge are you loading?
So far I'm only loading 9mm and .45 ACP. Went back to the turret press for 38/357.

Return to “Progressive”