Lee Auto Breech lock press is a PITA

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
Cdog
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Lee Auto Breech lock press is a PITA

Post by Cdog »

I received the press Friday. Got it all setup Saturday, and loaded 50 rounds of .45 ACP for a trial run.

This one has been updated a bit. The spring on the brass feed has little tension, none at rest. The ramp isn't flexing like my earlier model. There seems to be more free play in the case feeder. I filed the fingers back just a bit to prevent it from backing the case out of position while returning for the next one. I did the penny setup and installed a t-shirt material fringe skirt in front of the case drop area. This thing is operating!

I loaded another 150 rounds last night without so much as a hickup.

I would never recommend this press to a beginner or someone that owns a blue one, but for those of us that think a $200 range progressive is worth a bit tweaking it's a bargain!
CDOG
PBaholic
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Lee Auto Breech lock press is a PITA

Post by PBaholic »

RCWarjet wrote:You can't "partially cycle" the handle.....

You should go on their website and order several of the clutch drives, they wear out quickly (PR3691).
Or, you can just "partially cycle" it a little more until the plate lines up with the indexing rod.

I've made 5,000 rounds through my BLP, and never had to replace the clutch.

I have replace the red plastic one already, since at first I didn't realize that a piece of brass was out of place, until I crunched it on the ramp, and messed it up. The plastic is pretty cheap, but you have to take the press completely apart to replace it.

As for tipping over, I was told by Mr. Lee to sand the ramp a little to roughen it up.

I mostly do 45 ACP, and made a special block just for the universal feeder for a more reliable feed. I thought I had a picture of it, but I can't find it.

I was having an issue where the brass didn't line up perfectly with the dies, and initially opened up my 45 Colt die a little more, but eventually the press has gotten a little looser, and doesn't line up enough. I ended up drilling the holes of the top plate oversize, so that I could twist the top plate to line it up better, and it now works well again.

Return to “Progressive”