Load Master priming question.

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Load Master priming question.

Post by mikld »

First off, I don't use a progressive press, they just don't fit my lifestyle. No opinion pro or con concerning them either. But, I read a thread on another forum (forgive me fellers) about a Load Master user blaming the press for an OOPS!. Seems his press (?) stuffed a primer in sideways and continued the loading. The cartridge was ejected out of the press and bounced out of the bin (bin too full?) and landed on the floor, hitting the primer and popping the round. He mentioned "Lee doesn't recommend Federal primers for the Load Master" and seems to blame the press, the priming system, the primers, but not the user. To me it sounds like a one-in-ten million happening exacerbated by too little user attention...

So, any thoughts form Lee Progressive Press Users?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Load Master priming question.

Post by Ranch Dog »

Operator fault.
Michael
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Sometimes even a Dillon gets a primer in upside down (usually not sideways, though). I also bought factory ammo, where one primer was missing completely. Mechanically optimized presses do things like that less, but it still happens.

When the one faulty cartridge bounces to the floor, hitting the exposed primer unluckily, and detonating the cartridge, this is a chain of unlucky events. Sad, but inevitable. hings like that happen.

The only one who could have prevented it, is the user. When he felt the primer not seating properly, he should have stopped. If he didn't feel it... bad luck.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Fyodor wrote:The only one who could have prevented it, is the user. When he felt the primer not seating properly, he should have stopped. If he didn't feel it... bad luck.
Exactly this, there is no way that anyone cannot feel a primer go sideways. When it does, it is on the operator if he or she decided to continue. If the guy would take the time to condition his primer pockets and follow the press' setup instructions, this would not have happened.
Michael
mikld

Post by mikld »

Thanks fellers. I figgered the problem was reported with a "Lee Hater" bend and blame placed. But he could have possibly made it through the process but all the conditions had to be just right; primer faux pas, full bin, and landing just right on a hard floor...
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

I was okay until the primer hitting the floor went off. My BS meter went off as a result. It is a bit difficult to accept. Without the compound being crushed between the cap and the anvil the force of hitting the floor would unlikely be enough to set it off IMHO. Not saying it is impossible but really unlikely. Rounds have been crushed in accidents without a single one firing. Sounds to me that he has a bone to pick with Lee Precision and the scenario is fake. As I said, just my own take.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

I've been looking for that flag for a couple hours now. Looked everywhere around here. You guys know the one I mean. The red one that looks like a pennant with the big black BS letters on it. :roll:
larryw

Post by larryw »

I'm looking for that same red flag with the BS on it.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

horseman wrote:I've been looking for that flag for a couple hours now. Looked everywhere around here. You guys know the one I mean. The red one that looks like a pennant with the big black BS letters on it. :roll:
Bill stole it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Progressive”