progressive press

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
chet
My Press Choice: Progressive

progressive press

Post by chet »

i have 2 lee LM presses and i finally got the primer issue under control, my buddy wants to get a lee progressive press, question i have is is the pro 1000 less finicky of primer feed.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: progressive press

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'll take a stab at this chet in that there have been no replies. I have an "Automator" that is a Pro1000 "upper" that mounts on a single stage press. Kind of a weird thing, but it allowed a guy to use his "O" press for progressive pistol loading and it works. I only load 38 Spl with prepped primer pockets and have never had a primer issue.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Prepping primer pockets, even if the cases aren't crimped is important for trouble free progressive reloading. Even for a blue one I use. :oops:
It doesn't matter what caliber just do it. ;) It only needs to be done once.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

daboone wrote:Prepping primer pockets, even if the cases aren't crimped is important for trouble free progressive reloading. Even for a blue one I use. :oops:
It doesn't matter what caliber just do it. ;) It only needs to be done once.
+1
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
kmw1954

Post by kmw1954 »

As a regular user of a Pro1000 and one that primes on the press I will say the results are mixed as to how well it works. As to a comparison to the LM I cannot say because I've never used one.

There are just a few very simple things to keep in mind if going to try and prime on the Pro1000, the very 1st and most important in my mind is the bench and the press mounting. Because of the design of the way primers are fed into the press and then into the case the bench needs to be rock solid. Any movement of the press or bench can and will disorient the position of the primer on the post and will forever cause problems. Dirt and spilled powder in the press comes in second. Recently after switching from S&B primers back to Winchester I found that the primers themselves can cause problems. While using the S&B primers I loaded almost 3500 rounds on the Pro1000 w/o a single failure. The Winchester caused problems from the moment I but them in the press. Then switched to some CCI and the issue was cured.

I find the Pro1000 very simple and enjoyable to use for my pistol reloadings. Another alternative for your friend may be the new Auto Breach Lock Pro press. It uses the same priming system as the Turret press.
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

I have no first hand experience with the LM, but I own and operate three pro1000 (red base).

They run very well out of the box, even the priming system (which is the largest disadvantage on the LM) works well.

The only issue I have is, that it's very sensitive to dirt. I even stopped depriming on press, because the grit from the primers caused problems after only a hundred rounds or two. But when it's kept clean and lubricated, it runs very smooth.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
PBaholic

Post by PBaholic »

I find better consistency with hand priming off the press.

I shoot a lot of 45 ACP, probably 500 per week. I NEVER have a high primer with hand priming. That and I've got a hell of a handshake!

By splitting up portions of the reloading, you can get a better product:

1. I de-prime and size, ultra-sonic and wet pin tumble my brass. My brass looks new, even though I've used each one dozens of times. My primer pockets are absolutely clean. I use a squirt of Armor-All Wash and Wax in my wet tumble, and the brass stays shiny. This also provides a slight amount of lubricant for priming and loading.

2. I hand prime, with a Lee Ergo primer. This goes very quickly, and I get a perfect set.

3. When it comes to loading, all I'm doing on the Breech-Lock Pro is powder, powder check with an RCBS Lock-Out die, bullet set and crimp. I can effortlessly make 800/hour.

I recommend the RCBS Lock-Out die. It measures the amount of powder, and will stop you if the powder isn't right. That eliminated my biggest mistake, which was running out of powder and not realizing it....
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

PBaholic wrote:I find better consistency with hand priming off the press.
That's for sure!

But it defeats the purpose of progressive loading presses. I'm also unhappy with decapping off press for the same reason, but with wet tumbling it really doesn't work with on press decapping. I found water in primers after two weeks of drying time.

I check every single cartridge before storing. With .45Auto I have about 1% high primers. I reseat them (I know, not good practice) on my LEE bench prime.

Worst cartridge to load is the .38spl. About 3-4% high primers and 0.5-1% flipped primers. I really don't like small primers a lot. A little grain of dirt, and they flip of tilt. Large primers are much more tolerant.

I like loading the .44-40 the most. I had 0 (zero) high or flipped primers during the last 1500 rounds.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

kmw1954

Post by kmw1954 »

My philosophy is if I was going to take the time and decap then wet tumble then prime all off the press then why bother with a 4 or 5 position progressive press? Might as well just go back to using an old Lee 3 hole turret press. Charge, seat, crimp, all done! Or Charge, lock-out, seat/crimp, all done.
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

When you don't use a bullet feeder, I find the lockout die not necessary. You'll have to check every case anyway, when placing the bullet.

Return to “Progressive”