lee loadmaster coal

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
chet
My Press Choice: Progressive

lee loadmaster coal

Post by chet »

i have a new lee loadmaster, after tuning the priming set up, all is fine with one exceptopn, i cannot hold a consistent oal of a loaded 9mm round i am getting almost .010 variance, any ideas to hold a more precise length, i am making certain i am repeating the down stroke ect. the bullet seating die is not touching the shell plate, i think if i make it contact there will be too much crimp. the bullets are the 147 coated fpbb

thanks
chet
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: lee loadmaster coal

Post by Ranch Dog »

Hmmm. I wonder if it could be the bullet; small variations in ogive and the coating on the bullet against the contact of the bullet seating punch.

I think it is natural to worry about the press delivering the result, but experience with cast bullets has shown me it is more likely the above. What I might start with is to remove the bullet seating punch and look at the fit of it against the bullet. My question is how stable the fit is? If it is wobbly, that is a problem only a custom fit ($14) can fix. If it is steady, mate several bullets with the punch and measure the overall length with a caliper and see what the variation average is. For this comparison to be valid, you would also need to measure the average overall length of the same bullets themselves. The difference between the two measurements is the variation that the ogive to punch fit is creating and in the case of coated bullets are concerned, the difference the coating might be making. Any adjustment with the press can not correct that error in length. That is why I always start here rather than chasing a ghost.

Macd made an excellent series of posts on this very subject, quite possibly the subject cartridge was the 9mm Luger not that this is specific to this cartridge.
chet wrote:the bullet seating die is not touching the shell plate, i think if i make it contact there will be too much crimp. the bullets are the 147 coated fpbb
The instructions for the pistol bullet seating die is it be brought down to shell plate contact and then turned three complete revolutions off that position. From there, adjustments are made with the die's adjusting screw against the seating punch.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I haven't loaded much 9mm in recent years and I don't recall loading a slug that heavy. My feeling is that RD has the answer but I have to ask why .010 variance is a problem unless you're close or at a maximum load.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I keep some Federal 147-grain ammo in stock for training that requires factory ammo. Here is how it compares to what you saw and what my Load-Master turns out.
OAL_stuff.jpg
All my bullets; 25 through 45 Auto to include both 9mm's, have flat noses. I used JB Weld to fill the bullet seating punch nose and then filed it flat. I tested it on a Federal FP, looks like it would work.
147FP_solid_seating_punch.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael

Return to “Progressive”