new loadmaster with a dillon powder measure

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
chetc
My Press Choice: Progressive

new loadmaster with a dillon powder measure

Post by chetc »

i have a dillon 550b and and a new lee loadmaster, not thrilled with the Lee powder measure, time consuming changing charges, i do have a dillon 550B with a powder measure, any reason it would not work on the loadmaster, was going to get the auto drum, but the way it looks the dillon powder measure should drop right on.

chet
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: new loadmaster with a dillon powder measure

Post by Ranch Dog »

The only thing that comes to mind is that two things MUST NOT happen with the Dillion:
  • With a short stroke, it must not deliver a double charge or drop anything with the short stroke. As an example, you start a lever movement and the press cycle stops short because a case is not aligned correctly. So you relieve the lever slightly and then continue. The Dillion must only allow the drop at the end of the stroke.
  • If an empty shell holder slot passes through the charging position, nothing must drop. I figure nothing happens but just want to be sure that is using case contact vs. shell plate contact.
I'm using the Auto Drum with all of mine. As far as progressive charges go, I use them with the 25 Auto (1.7-grains or .21 cc of Hercules Unique) up through the 7.62x39 (26.0-grains or 2.00 cc of H4198). I don't think you can beat the Auto Drum's performance and it was definitely made for a progressive. I don't have any of the Auto Disks left and don't miss them a bit.

Welcome to the forum Chet!
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I don't even have RD's old Auto Disks any longer.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:I don't even have RD's old Auto Disks any longer.
Did you go to the Drum?
Michael
Pistolero

Post by Pistolero »

Which powder measure aren't you thrilled with? I got an Autodisk with my Loadmaster. I like it. It meters charges very consistently. It also throws good charges all the way to empty. Lee's data does direct you to the drum for some loads, and I'll probably get one eventually. I have a Lyman 55 which I also use, but the Lee Measure was a pleasant surprise. Just my opinion which is worth everything you paid for it!
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ranch Dog wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:I don't even have RD's old Auto Disks any longer.
Did you go to the Drum?
You bet. I have a topic somewhere with the issues I had but in the end I got extra drums and set up anything I might load on the turret and even built a rack for the set ups.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Progressive”