Transitioning between presses.

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
kmw1954
My Press Choice: Progressive

Transitioning between presses.

Post by kmw1954 »

In following with the other threads I have going I am going to start this so as not to confuse or distract from the others.

As stated in my introductory thread I started with a Lee Pro1000 press and have been using it for a few year with a number of different calibers with a carrier with the small primer chute and one with a large primer chute.

I have come to really like this press and have complete confidence in it. It's simple, reliable and fast. I really do use this press as it was designed to be used including on press priming. Sometimes I use the case feeder and sometimes I do not.

Now for the transition. This past year I added a new Auto Breech Lock Pro press and still trying to make the switch. Between the two presses I am finding things to compare against each other and more and more things are leaning back towards the Pro1000.

One of the biggest issues I am fighting is the change in priming. This has intensified since I added the bullet feeder. What I am finding is I am forgetting the priming at the top of the stroke and forgetting the pez dispenser until I already have the carrier most of the way down and then I have to hand place a primer so as to not double charge the powder.

I just cannot believe how ingrained the routine of the Pro1000 has been. This is a major issue so far and has me to the point of asking myself if it is even worth trying to use the Safety Prime.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Transitioning between presses.

Post by Ranch Dog »

As a guy that uses all the features of the Load-Master and the Automator (1K Pro mounted on a single stage press frame), this is my argument about the ABLP not being a full progressive press. Near two years ago, I switched to the Safety Prime on my Classic Turret and it has been tough getting used to it. I'm one for using all the features of a press so I stuck it out until it became a rote memory. I won't kid you, it took a while. Personally, if three stations are working for you I would stick with 1KP. I'm doing everything for the 38 Spl with the Automator that includes case, primer, and bullet feeding, and crimping without issue. I would consider it a downgrade to go to the Safety Prime on a progressive.

Not the least bit priming off the press either.
Michael
kmw1954

Post by kmw1954 »

Not certain if I mentioned the reason behind buying the ABLP but it's like this.; I purchased a EAA Witness 45acp that just refused to chamber reloaded ammunition. I spent weeks working loads inside and out with suggestions from many people from many different forums to no avail. Everything measured within spec but I was still getting about 50% failure to chamber. That was until I was told by a MOD on the CZ forum to try a Lee Carbide FCD. I bought one, tried it and magically all the problems went away.

So there I was with a 3 station press needing a 4th hole solution. At 1st I put the die into my single stage press and Crimped there which worked but wasn't a very seamless way to do it. I then tried to set the Pro1000 with just the sizing die and tried to size and reprime in one pass and then go back and flare/charge, seat and then FCD. Again that just felt awkward and out of sync. Wasn't going to work for me.

I then spent a long time debating with myself if I should go with the newly upgraded Value Press or the new ABLP press. Reading the early reviews and talking with those that just bought the ABLP I decided to try the new Pro and then maybe migrate everything from the Pro1000, which again led to the idea of using the RCBS bullet feeder. I am beginning to think I should have gone the other way with the Value Press. I could easily keep up with my needs for the 45acp on just the Turret press.

So now I am believing that if transitioning from a turret to a progressive the ABLP may be more seamless and intuitive way to go. For me going from a Pro1000 to the ABLP has been problematic. I really wish they would have made the upgraded Pro1000 four stations.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah, I forgot about your chambering issues with the Witness.
kmw1954 wrote:So now I am believing that if transitioning from a turret to a progressive the ABLP may be more seamless and intuitive way to go. For me going from a Pro1000 to the ABLP has been problematic. I really wish they would have made the upgraded Pro1000 four stations.
I personally think there would have been room for a 4-hole P1K. It is a pistol/handgun cartridge press and your specific need is what should define it. The ABLP fits a need for speeding up of rifle cartridge reloading for those that need it.
Michael
Kaiser
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Kaiser »

I have "multiple" presses with only one that is not a "Lee". My 3 hole "turret" is used for all my "straight" wall cases where I need to "flare" the case before "charging" and bullet seating. I use a "Co-Axle" press for all "bottle neck" cases "chores" to include all Factory Crimp procedures (either FC or Carbide FC). The "Snap In/snap out" feature makes it very handy without having to change "shell holders". My other Lee presses (Challenger and "C" press) do singular duty. The "C" gives me plenty of space to employ "sizing" dies for resizing cast bullets, and the Challenger handles "Universal" de-capping and case forming duties requiring "necking up or down" Parent cases. I seldom use a "bench" mounted priming system, preferring Lee's Auto Prime over all other brands or methods. While a 4th station may make my reloading a bit faster, the separate action gives me a chance to inspect the case once more for proper seating and length. I believe in "muscle memory" as a training regiment for producing good ammo, just as you would train yourself to "aim, breath, and squeeze". Whatever method you use will eventually work for you. BTW, I am "paranoid" when it comes to "progressives" (of all kinds, in general!) that drops powder "automatically". The question in my mind, "did it drop enough, not enough, or any at all?" Yeah, probably silly, but I have had a couple of bullets that stuck half way in the bore over the years- caught it before I fired another, in each case.

Return to “Progressive”