Newer Member introduction

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
kmw1954
My Press Choice: Progressive

Newer Member introduction

Post by kmw1954 »

Hello folks,

This is my first post here and have to say I am pleased to be here. I am the owner/user of these; Old model 3 hole Value turret press, Pro1000 press and a new Auto Breech Lock Pro.

I recently started reloading again after being way form it for many years. My interest lies basically in reloading and shooting pistols and having reloaded long ago I knew I didn't want to load for pistols on a single stage press so I researched all the turret and progressive presses and thought what I wanted was a Turret press. An Auto advancing turret press to be exact.

As It turned out while searching for a used setup to save money I came across a complete used Pro 1000 set up for 38/357. The only things missing were the Case tubes and the round cover for the primer tray. All this complete press for less than I could find a nice bare turret press for. So I bought it and have not been disappointed one bit.

After using this press for about 6 months I realized that I also wanted a 3 hole turret press just to make it easier to set up and use for small runs and to work up loads. After watching and searching ebay I found one that was new old stock still in the box unused! Yes I paid a premium price but for what it was and for what I wanted I was happy to pay it.

Then this past year I purchased a 45acp Witness that I was having all sorts of trouble with while using reloads. My 45 reloads all worked w/o problems in a couple other guns and then a Mod at the CZ Forum suggested I try the FCD and magically all the issues disappeared. Which lead to the purchase of the ABLP press so I had the 4th station.

So far I am liking the ABLP press enough that I may migrate everything from the Pro1000. Time will tell. My biggest wish is that Lee would have made the upgrades they did to the Pro1000 plus add the 4th station that they did with the ABLP press. If they would have done that one of those presses would be mounted on my bench right now.

Kevin
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter

Re: Newer Member introduction

Post by Fyodor »

Herzlich Willkommen from Germany!

Finally another pro1000 user ;). I got three of them (red base), and really like them. That reminds me... I need to make some .45Auto soon.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum! Interesting comments concerning the Witness and the Carbide FCD. Where the cartridges not fully chambering.
Michael
EdgeOfEden

Post by EdgeOfEden »

Welcome from Tennessee. :D
kmw1954

Post by kmw1954 »

Ranch Dog wrote:Welcome to the forum! Interesting comments concerning the Witness and the Carbide FCD. Where the cartridges not fully chambering.
That would be correct. I tried everything before adding the FCD. The empty cases would plunk just fine after sizing but one seating any of the plated bullets at first I was only getting about 50% Then I tried adding more crimp. NG. Then I tried seating and crimping separately and still NG. I measured these things everywhere and couldn't figure where I was wrong. I even went to bluing dye on the case and bullet and couldn't find where it was hanging up.

Finally after the suggestion by a Mod on the CZ forum I tried the Lee Carbide FCD and it magically all went away.

I have had many people try and tell me the FCD is just a Band-Aide and doesn't fix a sloppy reload. Which may very well be true. I have also had people tell me I need to send the barrel out for repair. NOT! This gun fire factory ammunition all day long and if that were all that was ever fed into it no one would every know there is an issue.

So I see it as three solutions; Fire only factory ammo, alter the barrel or use the Lee FCD. I chose the easiest solution and the one that makes the most sense. The FCD. No one else has to like it or approve of it but me.
kmw1954

Post by kmw1954 »

Fyodor wrote:Herzlich Willkommen from Germany!

Finally another pro1000 user ;). I got three of them (red base), and really like them. That reminds me... I need to make some .45Auto soon.
Thank you for the welcome.

I follow the Lee press topics on a number of forums and I try to stay honest and objective. I am a fan of Lee presses but not a died in the Blue Fanatic fan. Not everyone needs a Dillon 1050 or a Single Stage basic press.

As I stated I knew I needed/wanted more than a single stage press but I was also looking at cost investment, simplicity of design and simplicity of use. The Pro1000 fit right in to that spectrum. With the turrets for the dies which are also just 3 holes the everyday Lee 3-die die sets fit right in. Cannot get any simpler! Then when looking at the press design. again how could it get any simpler? There are very few moving parts and only one adjustment point. This press will make excellent pistol ammunition as well as any other press out there. Will do it reliably, efficiently and inexpensively. Fulfills all my basic needs.

When I seen the update press released I was equally impressed and even inquired to Lee if they would be selling just the bare basic press like they do with the LoadMaster and was told no. Disappointed for sure. Then again if they would have upgraded this press to a four hole turret design with the same all metal carrier and the auto primer feed I would own one right now. Instead I settled for the new Auto Breech Lock Pro. Which I also have a slightly different solution of use for. Will post more as I work it out.

BTW I was born in a US Army hospital in Bad Kreuznach though I've never made it back.
Kevin
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Welcome !
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Glad your diving in and welcome
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

kmw1954 wrote:inquired to Lee if they would be selling just the bare basic press like they do with the LoadMaster and was told no.
I don't understand that, either. They just last year or the year before released the pro1000 (red base) as a bare press without dies and stuff. And the new version won't be available as a naked machine. Can't understand that. On the other hand, how often do you really need the press without dies and shellplate?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Fyodor wrote:
kmw1954 wrote:inquired to Lee if they would be selling just the bare basic press like they do with the LoadMaster and was told no.
I don't understand that, either. They just last year or the year before released the pro1000 (red base) as a bare press without dies and stuff. And the new version won't be available as a naked machine. Can't understand that. On the other hand, how often do you really need the press without dies and shellplate?
Someone interested in moving from the older P1K to the newer wouldn't need or want dies and a shell plate. They have eliminated those customers consideration. Even the guys that bought the Automator would fit in this group.
Michael

Return to “Progressive”