Preventing Progressive Heartache!

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Preventing Progressive Heartache!

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've been getting ready to load 38 Spl for my Rossi 351 with the Automator, a Pro 1000 that mounts on a single stage, and my first step is ensuring that the primer pockets have been conditioned to prevent any hiccups with the press. This has become a must for me based on my experience of operating five progressives across nine cartridges. This work is the only way I've found that ensures the press does not stop because of botched primer seating. With twenty years of pulling the Load-Master handle this month, I've watched all the videos and bought all the expensive mods, and they are all a waste of time and money. It finally dawned on me that it is not the press; the problem lies with the brass and the lack of attention given to forming a pocket. I do not care who manufactured the brass, in this period, I have shot and reloaded with it all.

Here is the aftermath of conditioning 150 pockets, the debris left behind is nothing but press feed failures expressed by flipped, not flush, or crushed primers. The good news is that this work is a one time step, it does not need to be repeated. This brass has been fired twice, but not conditioned, and adds to my base of experience as to why I've had so many issues with press stoppages. Every time I condition a lot of brass that was previously run through a progressive without the work, I just shake my head over how smooth it could have been.

The tool I used to hold the cases is the 21st Century Shooter/Reloader Neck Turning Handles that I mentioned I bought back in October. I have problems with arthritic joints in my hands, and this eliminated the issues I typically experience. Normally, after the conditioning work, I cannot type for a couple of days. This is not the purpose that the tool was designed for, but it worked very well. Not only did it do the conditioning work but held the case for the two tool heads on the right side of the Lyman Prep Center. It is quick to slide a case in or out, and it locks with a quarter turn of an allen wrench. As is it will hold cases as small as a 380 Auto or 9mm Makarov or Luger. I think I have figured out how to use it down to the 25 Auto. I am also going to write to the fellow that makes the tool and suggest one for pistol cases based on what I've seen with my use.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Preventing Progressive Heartache!

Post by daboone »

So you don't use the pliers? Is 21st tool fast for swapping out the cases :?: It looks like it would require adjustment for every case to keep the case tightened for each use.

I got lucky because I had L E Wilson case holders for all of of my rifle calibers. For pistol stuff I use the soft grip pliers.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:So you don't use the pliers? Is 21st tool fast for swapping out the cases :?: It looks like it would require adjustment for every case to keep the case tightened for each use.
Not using pliers. 21st tool way faster and easier on the wrist. It is a ¼ turn of an allen wrench, case slips out and a new one is slipped in, ¼ turn of an allen wrench and you are back in business. To relate the speed of the operation using a reference that most of us are familiar with here on the forum, it is at least twice as fast a loosening and securing cases in a case trimmer shellholder. My pliers are back in the tool box.
Michael
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

Wouldn't a thumb nut speed make this even more comfortable?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Fyodor wrote:Wouldn't a thumb nut speed make this even more comfortable?
Maybe, but given that you have to change your grip to insert the next case, it is possible that noting be gained.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I can add that this has cured priming problems on my 650 and on the green bench primer. Got tofigure out how to get a power thingy :) .

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

I have found that using range pickup brass that not all are centered over the hole in the shellholder. I do bevel my primer pockets with the RCBS deburring tool chucked into my HF mini lathe.. This lets most of the primers slide into the pocket, but I do have to wiggle some. I use the hand priming tool and can feel when they are not going in correctly and move the shell some till it goes in smooth.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

I'm sticking with my plastic jawed pliers for pistol and the L E Wilson case holders for rifle. The pliers I got on Amazon are spring opened and grip the case with just a little squeeze. No screws to fiddle with.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
PBaholic

Post by PBaholic »

I've taken a different turn in regards to primer pockets.

I no longer de-prime or prime on the progressive press. I now ultrasonic clean in water, Lemi-Shine and Simple green, using an industrial Ultrasonic off eBay, then Stainless Steel pin tumble with water and Armor All Wash & Wax.

What comes out looks like new brass.

I hand prime with a Lee Ergo primer, and just store my brass primed.
buckeye43210
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by buckeye43210 »

What about using a wooden clothespin?

Return to “Progressive”