A continuation from the Intro Thread RE:Loadmaster

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
Et2ss
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

A continuation from the Intro Thread RE:Loadmaster

Post by Et2ss »

Ranch Dog wrote:Welcome to the forum! I have some Load-Master love, have four of them! I load the 25, 32, 380, and 45 Auto along with the 9mm Luger and Makarov, plus the 30 Carbine and 7.62x39. I use all the press' functions; case and bullet feeders (no bullet feeder with the 25 Auto & 7.62x39), priming, and Auto Drum powder delivery.

My advice is not to get too wrapped up with what you see online. I spent a lot of years being very frustrated with the press and always was following someone else' tinkering and buying someone else's accessories. One day I decided that if the presses could not work the way they came, I would get rid of them. I made sure I had a solid bench attached to the wall and a solid mount (Bench Plate) and then followed Lee's instructions to the letter. I still had small primer seating problems but had started to uniform and bevel the mouth of all my rifle primer pockets as I had started priming on my Classic Turret with the Safety Prime, and that pocket treatment had made the seating 100% better. So, I started doing that work with the cartridges heading to the Load-Master. It ended my primer seating issues.

If your press isn't new, you probably will not have gotten the deal you thought. You need to make sure your primmer feeder is the latest (three generations). I've helped some fellows setup used presses, and the most common thing I see wrong with them is that the ram and carriers need to be replaced because the Draw Bolt at the base of the ram was tightened by feel rather than with a torque setting and both of those parts are damaged, out of round, where they mate. There are actual threads on other forums advocating that a torque value than Lee's spec need be exceeded! This is a huge problem with the dozen of presses that I have looked at and quickly brings the price of a used press to more than that of a new press. I did it to my first press. Buy a torque wrench, it is cheaper than those parts and all the frustration of crappy ammo and locked shell plate rotation. Finally, if a used press, get a new shell plate with the ratchet bottom versus the round pins. Probably need a new index rod too! The list of correcting the ills of a misused press can be extensive.

My toolkit is simple; a few small wrenches, a popsicle stick, five popsicle sticks glued together, a pencil, a torque wrench, and Lee's instructions.

Loading on a Load-Master is a hoot, but it boils down to case prep. That is probably about 90% of the work.
Thanks for the tips Ranch Dog!

I checked it out, the press is fairly new, all of the original parts bags came with it in the box, all dated 5/2018. The primer feed is the 3rd gen, and I've ordered a large feed from Lee.

I looked at the bolt on the bottom of the ram, and checked the torque value, and it was right around 12 ft lbs. so it wasn't over torqued. I did dump about 100-150 primers out of the ram, which is probably all the use the press has seen. There was a crap-tonne of powder everywhere (the previous owner probably had a topside mishap with the auto-disk)

Oddly enough the shellplate was the older style with the drive pins instead of the ratchet bottom. Putting it through the dry run, it seems to index fine enough. The dies were in an old unlabeled red box without the normal paperwork, so probably obtained separately along with the shellplate? I do have a new index rod on the way as well.

I'm going to clean it up well, and lube it all with STP treatment. and start setting up the case feeder.

All in all, for $100, I'm not going to complain. One thing I am going to mod is the bench plate to eliminate the phillips bracket screws. The below vid seems like a nice upgrade. Off to Ace Hardware :D

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

Link if the embed doesn't work

I'm sure I'll have more questions......so stand by +corn
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: A continuation from the Intro Thread RE:Loadmaster

Post by daboone »

I like it, that is a good upgrade. I have enough bench space for my 3 presses, a SS, progressive and a sizemaster. So each press is permanently mounted with lag bolts. I do have a bench primer that is temporarily mounted using bolts thru to t-nuts under the 1 1/2in bench top. So your video will make the attachment easier and faster and eliminate the need for the box end wrench cluttering the bench.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Yep, off to Ace Hardware I go..
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

larryw wrote:Yep, off to Ace Hardware I go..

Make sure to take your GPS along so you can find your way back home Larry.... :lol:

For the OP'er, like RD I've also had several Load Master presses over the years, some good some not so good. I picked up one last year that is a new(er) model and it has been just stellar in operation. Also took Ranch Dog's advice on primer pocket prep. "IF" you come upon any problems with your new press I'm sure enough of us here have the experience to remedy it. Enjoy.... +guns
larryw

Post by larryw »

horseman wrote:
larryw wrote:Yep, off to Ace Hardware I go..

Make sure to take your GPS along so you can find your way back home Larry.... +guns
Yup got a get me one of those GPS things...
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

First things first! The dude owes us a video concerning what is in the box up on the shelf!
reloading_fails.jpg
Et2ss wrote:I looked at the bolt on the bottom of the ram, and checked the torque value, and it was right around 12 ft lbs. so it wasn't over torqued. I did dump about 100-150 primers out of the ram, which is probably all the use the press has seen. There was a crap-tonne of powder everywhere (the previous owner probably had a topside mishap with the auto-disk)
The details of the stuff inside the ram suggests to me that the fellow owning it did no case prep. He was running brass with spent primers through it. I bet they are small primers as well and the powder is fine pistol powder flowing through flash holes that haven't had a primer seated in them. There might even be some bent or crushed primers in that mess.

I'm not against depriming on the press, I do it. I have a single turret with a decapper on it. You can run a thousand cases through the press in no time. I do wash all my brass and dry it before I deprime as it will cut down on the other stuff that falls in the ram. After I deprime, I dump the primers. You will need a thin, stiff wire to keep the port free and I use compressed air down through the ram (without a shell plate on the press) to blow them into a trash can under the press. I then spray out the inside of the ram with dechlorinated brake cleaner, blow it out with compressed air, and then spray the inside of the ram with a very light coat of WD-40, distributing it with compressed air. Seems like a lot, but maybe three minutes.
Et2ss wrote:Oddly enough the shell plate was the older style with the drive pins instead of the ratchet bottom. Putting it through the dry run, it seems to index fine enough. The dies were in an old unlabeled red box without the normal paperwork, so probably obtained separately along with the shell plate? I do have a new index rod on the way as well.
The older shell plate will be fine, but I'm curious as to why you need a new indexer? I'm already feeling the twitch that it has to do with the previous quote of yours and my comments about bent or crushed primers. If there is a misfeed, it will bind the press, and frustrated operators will try to powder through it which is a huge mistake because there are a few things it will damage. The indexer can lose its bevel, and the flipper can crack or be ground off.
Et2ss wrote:I'm going to clean it up well, and lube it all with STP treatment. and start setting up the case feeder.
About that STP. I wouldn't use it. I think the debris of reloading sticks to it and it becomes a lapping compound. Sooner than later you will experience some type of powder spill, and powder is very abrasive. I suggest using petroleum jelly as it will clean up with a paper towel without any added solvents. You should clean and lube the press after every use, and this product will make it an easy task for the routine and emergency.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Et2ss
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by Et2ss »

Ranch Dog wrote:First things first! The dude owes us a video concerning what is in the box up on the shelf!
reloading_fails.jpg
:lol:

The details of the stuff inside the ram suggests to me that the fellow owning it did no case prep. He was running brass with spent primers through it. I bet they are small primers as well and the powder is fine pistol powder flowing through flash holes that haven't had a primer seated in them. There might even be some bent or crushed primers in that mess.

I'm not against depriming on the press, I do it. I have a single turret with a decapper on it. You can run a thousand cases through the press in no time. I do wash all my brass and dry it before I deprime as it will cut down on the other stuff that falls in the ram. After I deprime, I dump the primers. You will need a thin, stiff wire to keep the port free and I use compressed air down through the ram (without a shell plate on the press) to blow them into a trash can under the press. I then spray out the inside of the ram with dechlorinated brake cleaner, blow it out with compressed air, and then spray the inside of the ram with a very light coat of WD-40, distributing it with compressed air. Seems like a lot, but maybe three minutes.

I have used my progressive(AmmoMaster-Auto) only for depriming/repriming brass, I would throw a charge on my ChargeMaster and seat on a RockChucker. But then again I've only loaded for rifle, with the exception of very limited quantities of 44-40 Black Powder loads for my old S&W Model 3 'New Frontier' I did attempt to set up the uniflow on the top.... but for one, it's not all that accurate, and the linkage is a pain to set up right.

The press certainly needs a good cleaning, just need the time to do it.

The older shell plate will be fine, but I'm curious as to why you need a new indexer? I'm already feeling the twitch that it has to do with the previous quote of yours and my comments about bent or crushed primers. If there is a misfeed, it will bind the press, and frustrated operators will try to powder through it which is a huge mistake because there are a few things it will damage. The indexer can lose its bevel, and the flipper can crack or be ground off.

Well I ordered a new one because, as I was on the lee site, ordering the new hopper, all of their replacement parts in quantities of 1 show up as
"This item is FREE for you!" so I grabbed a bunch of parts I thought I would need in the future, and only paid shipping

About that STP. I wouldn't use it. I think the debris of reloading sticks to it and it becomes a lapping compound. Sooner than later you will experience some type of powder spill, and powder is very abrasive. I suggest using petroleum jelly as it will clean up with a paper towel without any added solvents. You should clean and lube the press after every use, and this product will make it an easy task for the routine and emergency.
Thanks for the tip with the vaseline... I have a jar down in the room. The stuff is great for cleaning up dirty old milsurp gun stocks. It'll deep clean the grime off without damaging the original finish or patina
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I can hear that shell plate spinning now!
Michael

Return to “Progressive”