Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro -- Update

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro -- Update

Post by Ranch Dog »

Heck, I even found an old-school case feeder, not the new Universal, for this move!
Michael
EdgeOfEden

Post by EdgeOfEden »

GasGuzzler wrote:After looking into the ALBPro this morning I'm not really sure at all why it exists. It's featureless but not inexpensive. Add all the goodies and it's more than a Loadmaster. What am I missing?
Why are any presses out there? To try to reach a market. All this press needs is the dies and the shell plate and you can be off to progressively reloading. The cost for the press, one shell plate, one set of dies and the Auto Drum is $205.46 plus shipping from Titan Reloading. If you already have the dies or the Auto Drum, the price becomes much better. The base price from Titan is $106.49 plus shipping. Lee claims off the base press alone you can have a cyclic rate of 360/hr. I believe this press was designed to ideally reach a new reloader or a reloader that wants to get into progressive reloading as inexpensively as possible and then grow with it as he has the funds. This was precisely at the core of Richard Lee's business philosophy and is still the market Lee Precision pursues today. When money is no option, people buy whatever color they want even though many of the presses do the same things.

While I am an unapologetic Lee fanboy, I personally would have preferred their new press would have been an actual 5 station press where you could prime on press and still use five distinct dies. Lee examined their market and business model and decided differently. When the ABLPro was being developed, it was under beta as the Lee Pro 4000. It is a four station press that I suspect they felt might at some point replace the Lee Pro 1000 if it's numbers eventually diminish. Time will tell. In addition with the addition of their Breech Lock system they have come up with a feature (quick change) that they can continue to make money on -- smart.

I frankly marvel how Lee Precision profitably stays in business. They offer the best value around and constantly replace parts that end-users have obviously and negligently destroyed and they do this even outside their stated warranty. Hmmm. Maybe that's why. I sure don't blame them for trying to make money where they can -- particularly on their proven Breech Lock System.

Since I've already explained the features of the press and how they differ from the LoadMaster; there is no reason to repeat each of them again. I've also indicated that these features may not be for everyone such as the breech lock feature for example. As an actual owner of this press I actually like this feature. I like both presses. As stated before the LoadMaster is more robust, but the learning curve is much higher than for the new press.

If you are a happy LoadMaster user and are heavily invested in the press, there is absolutely no reason you would need to buy the ABLPro. However, if you are a disgruntled LoadMaster owner, this might just be the press for you. The new press is much easier to setup. I have friends, who because I know their skill set and temperament, for whom I could never recommend the LoadMaster. I would be doing them a disservice. For some of them I could recommend the ABLPro and that's one good reason for this press's existence.

My analysis of the ABLPro is that if you are a new reloader or getting into progressive reloading for the first time and you have limited funds, Lee Precision has once again hit the sweet spot. Think about it. A new reloader can grow through all the methods of reloading on one press. Remove the indexer, add one quick change with die and you functionally have the equivalent of one of Lee's Breech Lock SS presses. Add the indexer and you can use the press as a quasi-turret press or finally as a progressive. For a new reloader that's 3 presses in 1. Now that is economical and is a great reason for the ABLPro's existence. If you have limited funds and/or just want to buy into a system that will grow with you, this is a great press to accomplish that. :D

Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

It takes four strokes on a Loadmaster? If so I see your point.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
EdgeOfEden

Post by EdgeOfEden »

;)
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Otherwise it costs too much for having no features. I'm an LCT user that also has a Lee cast single and this LABLP ain't for me, couldn't see for whom it was designed. Now I do?

I don't have any Dillon stuff other than .357 boxes. I have stuff from everyone else (my only Hornady thing is an impact disassembler) but I find it hard to spend $250+ making this work when I can get a Load Master ..... and if that's no good get a $600 Dillon instead. I'm not sure there's a market for a reloader that requires the volume a progressive offers yet has no money.

Once the new press is dressed out it costs more than a Loadmaster and those that don't want to spend that wth Lee buy a Dillon or goodness forbid a Hornady ammo plant.

The bushing system isn't a seller really. I'm not buying a Pro1000 either. I don't see how the new one is easier to use either. There is already a topic from an insider and how newbies are wrecking them.

I'm sure I sound negative, I'd rather Lee just fix the few small issues they have currently.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
EdgeOfEden

Post by EdgeOfEden »

GG, As my father use to say, "Different strokes for different folks." Some will love it. Some won't. I just happen to be one of those who think the ABLPro will do well. I can appreciate that you don't. ;)
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Even though I doubt that I will own one because I'm so well covered with Lee presses, I really hope that it does well as I want to see Lee financially sound. I cannot begin to imagine what the cost of development is on a new press. When the Micro Disk's mold was broken, not the Adjustable Charge Bar, one of the Lee's told me that the estimate for a new mold was $125K. That is why it was dropped, their total sales of the disk from day one had not reached that. So, yes, I hope they make millions from this press.

Something else I have pondered is the cost of the Load-Master and it relates to everything that they sell more than likely. When it was introduced in 1992, the catalog price was $330 setup with everything but the Bullet Feeder. If the price of that press followed inflation here in the US, now in 2018 it should cost the buyer $589. Instead, it lists for $392. In reality, the Load-Master buyer today pays a third less than the fellow who bought it in 1992.
Michael
EdgeOfEden

Post by EdgeOfEden »

Great observations Ranch Dog. Depending on the industry it is amazing how prices come down over time once initial R&D investments have been paid: computers, generic drugs, other electronics, etc. Of course, this is not true when it comes to housing, cars, boats etc. These items appear more directly impacted overtime by inflation, wage negotiations, innovation, safety regulations, and more.

I think one of the reasons we benefit as Lee consumers is the sheer volume of presses sold. This has come about directly from their business philosophy. When people think they want to get into reloading, most want to do it as economically as possible in case they discover they don’t like it. Lee’s model will usually give them the first shot at those customers. Many of those who stay with reloading discover what real bang they get for their Lee buck.

I think what annoys me about the reloading hobby is the amount of press snobbery I see in my friends and in the forums I attend. We all know here how many times we’ve heard Lee bashing by reloaders who’ve never owned the presses or equipment their bashing. The truth is I’ve scrutinized other brand specific forums and they all have some issues where owners complain. The other truth is none of the manufacturers at least in general make bad equipment.

I recently was on a forum where a brand new LoadMaster owner who (I’ll call him, Joe) was being told by a professed LoadMaster and Dillon 650 owner, that his LoadMaster would work (with constant adjusting), but just not as well as his Dillon 650. I’m not denying that the LoadMaster might need more tweaking than a Dillon progressive, but even if true, should that be the only consideration? I told Joe not to worry about it because his targets were press color blind and for the money he would save using Lee Precision products, he could pretty much equip his reloading room.

Again, I have no problem what color press anyone wants to own, I, too, am color blind. Everyone is motivated for their own reasons/needs in making their choice. While I could afford to buy a Dillon or a Redding and almost did due to peer pressure, I just couldn’t ignore the facts regarding my application. There is no doubt that Dillon, Redding, and Forster presses are considered premier equipment, but they don’t make my personal loads any more accurate than Lee. I literally have taken the savings and invested in other equipment for my reloading room. I’m not a prestige kind of guy. I’m a value kind of guy. For me that’s what Lee offers me: value and good equipment that will compete with any brand.

Finally getting back to my OP, I’m not sure how big an issue the plastic ramp will be for the ABLPro. It’s not been a problem for me. I like the press. I likely will someday buy another Lee progressive and while I am currently leaning towards another LoadMaster, I need more time with the ABLPro. While I personally think that everyone should have either a single stage or a Lee Classic Turret on their bench, I will say that anyone who is not a bull in a china shop and buys the ABLPro for their first press should be very happy. It will do it all and even 30-06 if you are willing to operate it manually like a Dillon 550. It won’t be near as robust, but it will gidder done and it won’t cost a fortune to do it. :D
GRV01
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by GRV01 »

Quick question i had while showering this morning and thinking about my future reloading setup (what, you dont?): on a progressive like the LABLP does one make their initial die adjustments on the shell plate anf disengage the indexing to get things setup or do you make them on another press like a single stage and then just transfer them (say, using thr breechlock fittings) to the shellplate?
No thin chicks
Currently reloading .357 Magnum and .38 Special
EdgeOfEden

Post by EdgeOfEden »

You want to make your adjustments on the press you are using. Whether or not you use the indexer is really a matter of preference.

I setup my Lee dies according to Lee's instructions. Then I begin loading the plate with brass and make my final adjustments as I initiate the reloading process. This helps reduce shell plate flex. Otherwise the plate is not balanced properly and can cause COL to vary. When balanced, only the initial few going on and the final few coming off the shelf plate should show the most variance.

Return to “Progressive”