Lee Auto Breech lock press is a PITA

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Lee Auto Breech lock press is a PITA

Post by larryw »

How's that for service?? Jim & RD, thanks, knew I saw it.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Guinearun
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Guinearun »

I use a BLP for 9 mm. My case feeder gave me trouble setting a penny width from the press. I set it as far back as possible and milled the plastic to add 3/16 metal strip for the feed ramp. I found this fixed the problem of a case drag causing the one on the ramp to bounce forward getting crushed. I discussed it with lee, the technician didn’t seem to be surprised. We are not the only ones having problems.
My bullet feed was poorly machined , I had to finish the inside. Now after several design fixes, I can load 300 an hour without rushing. As it comes out of the box I can see no way you could load 200 an hour.
G.A.Custer
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by G.A.Custer »

Here is a priming tip.
When you push the primer feeder towards the primer arm, use your Thumb only, and place your other Four fingers behind the "Pillar" in sort of a squeezing movement. I don't know why but when I use this technique ,I get almost 100 % primer placement without primers falling onto the floor. (This as opposed to pushing the primer feeder forward using the tip of your index finger.)
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

I'll give that a try next time I use the press. I'm back to the turret press now loading.38 spl. When I switch back to.45 or 9mm I'll go back to the ABL
kmw1954

Post by kmw1954 »

I did this and it works like a charm. and like G.A. Custer I found that if I push with the thumb and with my index finger under the dispenser I don't drop any.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

I finally gave up on this press. I could never get the safety primer working properly. It's selling on eBay today.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I have one on a UPS truck coming my way. Hope I have better luck with it. Ordered it from Titan, only ones available were the 44 mag. complete kits. That was the only one I found online to buy, don't load 44 mag. but it was that one or nothing. I have just the bare press on backorder with Midway, they keep moving the delivery date back. Somebody outthere must like these, back to my turret if I can't get this one to work.
RCWarjet

Post by RCWarjet »

Like most of the Lee presses, requires tinkering and careful operation. For example, you can't "partially cycle" the handle, you have to make a complete down and up with the handle or the clutch drive (plastic) which rotates the shell plate moves only part way and stays like that unless you remove the indexing rod, line the clutch drive up, and re-install the rod. Went through 2 of those before Lee tech told me what to do. You should go on their website and order several of the clutch drives, they wear out quickly (PR3691).
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Thanks for the tip, the press is set to be delivered Monday the 1st.
Cdog

Post by Cdog »

I ordered a second Auto Breech Lock today.

This press has so much that works well, I'll tweak the rest till I get it to work!
CDOG

Return to “Progressive”