Loadmaster Case Feeder Problem

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Loadmaster Case Feeder Problem

Post by killian6pk »

I have installed the case slider and tension rod as per the Lee instructions. I can't get it to put the case all the way into the shell holder. It starts then stops short of the shell holder. I have tried all the adjustments in the Lee Instructions and the photo below shows where the feeder stops advancing the case. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong. I can push the case feeder with my finger into the proper position, so I know the range of motion is not the problem. The press is set up for 45acp.
case feeder.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Loadmaster Case Feeder Problem

Post by horseman »

First, make sure the part that slides up and down the rod has the metal "arm" in the rearmost hole on the case "feeder". On the black part that the "arm" sits in, the bottom screw should be tight, the top one just snug. Don't overdo either. The top screw is the "tightness" adjusting screw for the slider part. Check how far the big bolt (with the hole the rod fits in) is screwed into the press, mine, with the lock nut tight, has two threads showing after the lock nut. Mine is set for 45acp also but this "adjustment" works for everything I've run through the press. Hope this helps you out.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

horseman wrote:First, make sure the part that slides up and down the rod has the metal "arm" in the rearmost hole on the case "feeder". On the black part that the "arm" sits in, the bottom screw should be tight, the top one just snug. Don't overdo either. The top screw is the "tightness" adjusting screw for the slider part. Check how far the big bolt (with the hole the rod fits in) is screwed into the press, mine, with the lock nut tight, has two threads showing after the lock nut. Mine is set for 45acp also but this "adjustment" works for everything I've run through the press. Hope this helps you out.
Thanks, I figured out the large bolt thing was most of the problem, and screwed it in some more The black plastic square on the rod would not let the slider go all the way back to drop a case. I had to loosen mine up a good bit, and it finally started working properly. I figured that after that parts slides on the rod it will loosen up more, and I can screw the top screw in some more. I also lubed the metal arm on top and bottom and along where the slider rides. I used Tetra gun lube and wiped off the top of the metal arm leaving a very thin film of lube. But overall everything seems to be working properly. I ran about 50 cases through it without dies, and it worked almost perfectly. I think one case jumped off the arm (probably trying to run for its life :D .
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

You want to make sure you only have about a nickels width between the top of the case and the case feeder. Keep the black part of the case feeder about 1/8inch from the press frame as the case feeder goes up and down with the ram. Also note that the case feeder housing, on the back side, has a "cut out" on the bottom right side for the slider to clear that part. Mine runs real close to that part.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

horseman wrote:You want to make sure you only have about a nickels width between the top of the case and the case feeder. Keep the black part of the case feeder about 1/8inch from the press frame as the case feeder goes up and down with the ram. Also note that the case feeder housing, on the back side, has a "cut out" on the bottom right side for the slider to clear that part. Mine runs real close to that part.
I'm a popsicle stick guy. I had pondered press setup for a long time and figured out the simple way to do it all. I use a single stick to space the feeder above a case, any case, and I laminated five sticks together with Elmer's Wood Glue to space the feeder off the press.

The laminated sticks fit durn near perfectly in the rib on the press's turret head, so the case feeder is very close to the press. You might notice that I'm using stop nuts on my case feeder. I'm switching between cartridges on two of the presses so frequently that I have dedicated case feeders to speed up the process, eliminating the over case adjustment.

I have four Load-Masters two are stand-alone presses, one for the 45 Auto and the other for the 7.62x39. The other two jump through several cartridges, but the setup is always very quick with the sticks.
  • #1 Load-Master
    • 25 Auto
    • 218 Bee
    • 25-20 Win
    • 30 Carbine
    • 32 Auto
    • 32-20 Win
  • #2 Load-Master
    • 380 Auto
    • 9mm Luger
    • 9mm Makarov
The only other spacing tool I need is a #2 pencil.

The single stick also adjusts my primer seating operation.

I take my sticks seriously. I move back and forth through the cartridges frequently, and press setup doesn't take any time; about like loading a powder hopper or primer tray.
Michael
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

I will try that popsicle stick trick I have a bunch of them for spreading glue and mixing epoxy. In fact I will glue some up tonight. Oh and I used a metal lock washer on the bottom nut that where the feeder goes through the arm that comes from the shell plate. Thanks RD
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

horseman wrote:You want to make sure you only have about a nickels width between the top of the case and the case feeder. Keep the black part of the case feeder about 1/8inch from the press frame as the case feeder goes up and down with the ram. Also note that the case feeder housing, on the back side, has a "cut out" on the bottom right side for the slider to clear that part. Mine runs real close to that part.
Do you mean to put a nickel on top of a case (on top of the slider or in front of the slider) and then bring the 4 hole part of the case feeder down to the nickel. I am a little confused about how that should look. I thought they meant for the nickel to go on top of the case slider and put the 4 hole part on top of the nickel. I need to reread the instructions I guess.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Place the nickel, or RD's popsicle stick, on top of the case as it sits on the "ramp". Bring the case feeder down to the nickel/popsicle stick. That's all the gap you need. Actually I just "I" ball it close. The other part I was alluding to was the black part that holds the tubes, as the ram goes up (with the case feeder") just make sure you have a "bit" of room between the case feeder and the frame. It also determines how in line the feeder is to the ramp. Don't over think this, it doesn't have to be perfectly aligned, but obviously you don't want the case feeder part hitting the frame as it goes up and down. Yes, I have done that....but it only happens once. :lol:

Remember to check on the back side of the feed tube holder, check that the part that slides on the rod runs down alongside the cutout on that piece. It will be close.

Return to “Progressive”