Loadmaster on the way - excited!

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
Lbrewer42
My Press Choice: Progressive

Loadmaster on the way - excited!

Post by Lbrewer42 »

Finally got an email the other night that the 9mm Loadmaster kit was in stock. I had a <notify me when in stock> to 5 different companies!

Excited and so had to share with what I can now call fellow reloaders! :D

I did a lot of homework reading this forum and also youtube videos to compare and choose what I thought would work for me.

Besides the Loadmaster press I also ordered the Lee Auto-Drum Auto Powder Measure, a factory crimp die, the Hornady pistol bullet feeding die, and the case collator. I want to automate this as much as possible, and am going to enjoy fine tuning and hacking (lights, LED to check primer inserted etc.) to make it even better.

Even thinking about a 3D printer to make auto feeders etc. No. I didn't win the lottery! Just sold some stuff I had stored for years and now want to do more +guns

Also getting a Harbor Freight Bench Grinder base to put it on. Got this idea from a youtuber.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Loadmaster on the way - excited!

Post by GasGuzzler »

Go for it!
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good, I enjoy mine! Just loaded some 218 Bee cartridges with it this week.
Michael
Lbrewer42

Post by Lbrewer42 »

I hope there is a simple answer to this one: I just want to load some 9mm for plinking and concealed carry. Where is the easiest to understand place to go to understand what to order for powder and bullets?

I am not going to be a competition shooter, I just want to make a generic and typical ammo like I would get if I bought a box form the store. Just something that goes bang, makes a hole in the target, and is sueable for self defense.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

Congratulations on your new Load master.
My first, & most important recommendation to you would be, get a good
manual or two & read them through, maybe twice ??
Second would be, DO NOT take &/or use ANY load you get off of the
internet forums unless, & until, you verify that load with accepted published
data (your manuals).
What might be a well worked up & safe load in my firearm, might not be in yours!!!
9mm is a high pressure round & with a lot of loads for it, there is not a lot of
wiggle room between ok & not ok. " Start low & work up "
Not trying to be doom & gloom, just trying to point you in the right direction.
Take care & be safe. Again, congratulations & best of luck..
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Damin69

Post by Damin69 »

Love my Load master. Watch videos on set up. Though they are kind of set up when you get it They are very tight. Take your time setting up do not rush it. The one thing that really smoothed it out for me was to use some 1000 grit sand paper and polishing up the underside of the shell holder plate. I got it to a near mirror finish then polish all friction areas the plate slides on. Now it advances smooth as silk. Out of the box the advance is more of a snap on each advance. After doing this I found it to smooth it out so it just glides with each advance. There are tons of set up videos on youtube about this and I was surprised at how much it helped.
Lbrewer42

Post by Lbrewer42 »

Thanks for the suggestions. Just waiting until I can get out to Harbor Freight to get one of their grinding whlle stands for a base (youtube suggestion). I have been spending a lot of time watching youtube vids. I appreciate the polishing suggestion - I saw a vid of a guy talking about making these run smoothly. Also got some tips on checking the primer pin, hacking/upgrading the primer feeder if needed, sanding smooth the bolt head the arm for the primer contacts, hacking the collating dish to make sure cases go base down into the case tubes, and making sure the indexing arm has a better rounded edge on its non-square side.
Also got a Hornady through bullet feeding die I want to use with it as well. So glad this forum and youtube exist!
Lbrewer42

Post by Lbrewer42 »

larryw wrote:Congratulations on your new Load master.
My first, & most important recommendation to you would be, get a good
manual or two & read them through, maybe twice ??
May I have a recommendation for which manual?
Second would be, DO NOT take &/or use ANY load you get off of the
internet forums unless, & until, you verify that load with accepted published
data (your manuals).
Understood. I see this as sage advice and will take it seriously.
What might be a well worked up & safe load in my firearm, might not be in yours!!!
9mm is a high pressure round & with a lot of loads for it, there is not a lot of
wiggle room between ok & not ok. " Start low & work up "
Which tells me I have a lot to learn. I thought maybe there was a way to just duplicate what comes from (let's just use a random) Remington shell out of the box. Since anyone can buy and use their shells, I was wondering why not just duplicate this? No such thing as backwards engineering for some reason?
No argument here by any means - just want to learn :?:
Not trying to be doom & gloom, just trying to point you in the right direction.
Take care & be safe. Again, congratulations & best of luck..
Much appreciated. :t
larryw
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

Howdy 42, well, your questions & comments show me your on the right track,
good deal, keep that attitude..
Manuals,, Lee is a good one, has just about everyone's data, & a good read.
Lyman is another good one.
Hornady, Sierra, Nosler, Speer, they are good but they are for there specific bullets.
Powder manufacturers web sites are also a great source.
Duplicating factory, yes you can but, (always a but??) To do properly requires
use of a chronograph & in loads like some 9, 40 & a few of the earth shaking
big boys, pressure measuring equipment, ( not likely for most )
You have to at least see what your velocity is doing. Hope that answer helps ?
Bottom line!!! Manual, read it, find load data from manual or powder maker
for what ever bullet your using, start low & work up. NEVER, EVER go past
published max load, at least not until you gain way more experience!!!
Remember, in handguns, revolver or semi autos, if & when you see signs of
high pressure, you are already several steps over the line into bad news territory
So, again, start low, some of the first few loads might not even cycle the slide on a semi?? All of a sudden, you will find an accurate load that's nice to shoot. There
you go. Also, keep good notes on your work ups..
Dog gone??? Wrote a book :D Hope this helps, clear as mud now right ??
Take care & be safe...
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Lbrewer42

Post by Lbrewer42 »

Thanks for the great reply.

Something I try to live by is that the day I think I have become an expert at something is the day I should be smart enough to realize how little I know.
Duplicating factory, yes you can but, (always a but??) To do properly requires
use of a chronograph & in loads like some 9, 40 & a few of the earth shaking
big boys, pressure measuring equipment, ( not likely for most )
You have to at least see what your velocity is doing. Hope that answer helps ?
OK - definitely going to follow the advice here. So please understand this next question is just for more learning on my part.
I will be reading the manuals, and most certainly will not be stupid enough to just strike out on my own ideas in this subject of which I know nothing about.

1. Am I correct in assuming a lot (maybe all) reloaders are attempting to "tune" their ammo for their personal pistol? Thus there are so many different powder, etc. options out there instead of just following the example of the ammo companies to make a generic round? Until now I was not caring much about this fine tuning.

2. I understand each pistol will have its own characteristic response to different ammo. So how crucial is finding that exact sweet spot for a specific firearm? Is finding the sweet spot the difference between an 1" or a 1/32" in putting two pieces of lead through the same target hole?

3. I used to be an avid & succesful .22 cal. squirrel hunter. I only shot them in the eye. I was able to do this with any factory ammo. Same with my 30.06 and deer. Yearly successful (stalking and tracking, not a tree stand), and I am trying to learn how this experience of "just any store bought ammo" in my rifle fits in with "no generic recipe" for reloading pistol ammo? What puzzle piece am I missing here?

Again I want to stress: I will be reading the manuals, and most certainly will not be stupid enough to just strike out on my own ideas in this subject of which I know nothing about!

Thanks for the help :t

Return to “Progressive”