Breech Lock Classic Cast features

All “C” and “O” type Lee presses.
motard
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Breech Lock Classic Cast features

Post by motard »

As written when introducing myself in this forum It happens to me that I have two Classic Cast presses: a threaded one and the new Breech lock. I have been using only the last one (often in conjunction with hand a Hand Press BL for depriming) because I bought it new and only in a second time I did find the Classic Cast old style Threaded Press, used but mint. What I whant to ask to experienced user is if the amount of dies play (vertical and lateral) descending from the Bl bushing is about the same of the one produced from the original die's locking rings. Or ad if one sistem (floating bushning on BL press) is better thane the other (o-ringed fixing ring on the older version press). ?
what you think about? and would be whorth, if deciding to go with the old stile press as only press, to self modify the o-ringed lock-rings by threading and tapping on one flat face of the ring face a small screw so to set them steadly?
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Breech Lock Classic Cast features

Post by RBHarter »

I prefer a fixed none moving die . I don't have any time with the BL type presses but have dabbled with the turret and Load Master presses . In dies that I feel need to not flex I use 2 of the Lee lock rings tightened with the solid side of both facing the press . This makes a positive stop and lock. There are other lock rings available that pinch full circle or have a set screw in 1 flat . I have not experienced dies moving as long as a consistent method of installing and removing dies even with the "o"ring locks.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
buckeye43210
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by buckeye43210 »

Another option is to remove the 7/8-14 reducer from your older Classic Cast press and replace it with the Hornady LNL conversion bushing.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

Some little play between die and press body won't harm your process. Any radial play actually improves centricity, and with axial play it's only important that the past has a high repeatability. When you pull the lever, there is no play anymore, the axial forces will push it in one direction.

You can load very accurate ammo on breech lock presses. I think it's more of a mind thing, if you don't feel confident, your ammo will be inconsistent. But there's no reason to not be confident.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
motard

Post by motard »

Thank all You. Yes I am aware about the Hornady Conversion but in realty I did jet buy enaught Lee lock-rings eliminator to feel my actuals, and few futures, needs. I also have 3 Hornady lock-ringhs fitted on my 9mm lugher dies, and this lead me to ask the question. Since now I have always useed them (the 9mm lugherd dies) on the BL press with very good resoults indeed. Now I was thinking that if I would ever use them on the old style CC press there would be any radial play. Wich I too think is a good thing, and not a concern.
But I am always glad to hear experienced user opinions
mikld
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

Another thought; if the die moves a bit under operation, it will probably move the same amount with every case run through the die. A bunch of folks complained about the movement of a turret in Lee's turret press, but there is no effect of the turret movement on finished ammo because it moves the same distance every time (I can hold a bit less than .0015" when seating bullets with my Lee turret)...

What's it like as far as component availability in Italy?
motard

Post by motard »

Common component are not difficoult to find. I leave in Rome and there are more than a good shop. Althought I prefer buyng from large reseller over internet.Less hasle. Unfortunatly (for us) most stuff in this field are made in Usa so you must double the costs. For more specialized items I rely on my occasional travel in Us. I could buy a fine RCBS concentricy tool this summer in the largest weapons north states shop (I could'nt remember the name but it was way bigger than LLbean) north Boston may be still in Massachussetts or jet in Connecticut? It was a haven for me. But obviuously no chanche to buy and export any gun
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

@ mikld:
That was what I tried to say, but you made the point much clearer. Thanks! Repeatability is the important thing, if it flexes the same every time, it's as good as if it didn't flex at all.

@ motard:
You've been talking about 9mm Luger dies... I thought in Italy you can't have "military" ammo? Wasn't that the reason to invent the 9x21 cartridge? I mean I would be glad if they skipped that stupid rule, but I didn't know about it.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
motard

Post by motard »

Long story short. yes I said 9 lugher because those are the dies I use to form my 9x21 rounds and the most common to buy. There is a little trick to use them tand a cheap mod (15 euro) that must be applied at the factory crimp so that rounds don'd develop that unhestetucal bellly. I am in a hurry now but later will post about if you are interested
ps 9x21 is anyway a good caliber.
Ps: the mod is not mine, I just bought it from the developer. And bellied rounds cand be shot in most gun, except some with very tight tollerances. My tanfoglio is not within but simply i disliched that hourglass (eg-timer?) shape
motard

Post by motard »

As Fyodor wrote in Italy civilians are not aloud to hold 9x19 caliber wich is exclusively for police and military duties. I cam understand it sounds strange becasue we cand use 9x17 aka 30 auto (I run a Beretta Cheeta as domestic gun) and 9x21 wich has exactly same exterior dimension of 9x19 (being bullet seated deeper). Plus it apper to be just a tad smarter than his military brother, Probably becasue of few more volume capacity and the fact that bras is not cilindrical but barely tapered: 98mm at the rim, 95-96 at the mouth. Infact any 9x21 pistol can shott (illegally) 9x19 whilst only a severe crimpage may allow a 9x19 gun to shot 9x21. BTW altought 9x21 is universally known as IMI round (israel military) as far as I am aware it was developed bay an italian reloader. Cannott be shure about thought. Anywhay cause most reloading gear is made in Usa italian reloaders are forced to use 9 luger dies but the difference in lenght and the tapered shape of IMI round, lead to the fact that reloaded round develope a feminin silohuette: larger at the mouth slimmer in center and with a little belly before the rim. Not too nice to see and with (very few) chambering issues in some guns with extemely tight machining tollerance. I have ben lucky finding a mod done by an italian shooter (Niskal) ho patented a way to use the fourth lee pistol'sa die, the Factory Crimp, as first die adding a depriming rod. Rounds coming out now with no belly and exactly the same dimesions of the Factory Loaded ones.

Return to “Single Stage”