Original Challenger Press?

All “C” and “O” type Lee presses.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Original Challenger Press?

Post by Ranch Dog »

On the original Challenger Press, does the inside-bottom of the "O" frame have a flat surface without the primer shaped box to catch primers?

I use the updated press with the Breechlock for sizing bullets and the "box" designed in the base makes me crazy. It loads up with lube chips and I never can get it cleaned out. I've tried covering it but it always ends up causing time to be taken from sizing. If the early Challenger has the same feature, I will just fill the "box" with epoxy so it is a flat surface and call it done.

Before you ask, I originally used the Lee Reloading Press, the "C" style press that is pictured in the Lee material with their Bullet Sizing Kits. There is too much flex in this press and the wear is reflected on the upper surface of the bullet puncher.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Original Challenger Press?

Post by daboone »

An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've looked at pictures on google but they all show me this side. It looks like a "box" on the other side, the opposite side of the Breechlock version. Can you get me a picture of the other side?
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Okay, I figured out to handle it. A spent 32-20 Win case is a perfect fit for the hole and then just unscrew the plate of the spent primer box. The open primer box actually facilitates the excess dried lube falling into my recycle bucket. You will notice that bucket is Lee "red" as well!
sizing_lube_mess_01.jpg
sizing_lube_mess_02.jpg
With the steel Bench Plate in use, you must use a 90° driver to remove the box plate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Good work rd
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!

Return to “Single Stage”