Buying A new Press

All “C” and “O” type Lee presses.
Mike 56
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Buying A new Press

Post by Mike 56 »

daboone wrote:It's interesting how over the years "cheap" Lee equipment became "inexpensive" to it's "built like a tank" today. :D That how the old gold standard, RCBS's, stuff was described awhile back. Richard was a true innovator and John has pushed Lee Precision up to the forefront with its competitors.
+1 yes i agree well put.
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Someone on this site told me how to resize 30-06 to 7.7 jap in really small steps and it doesn't take a lot of effort. Set the in the press so that it barely forms the shell. Then adjust the die 1/4 turn and restroke. Keep doing this until it is reformed. It doesn't take any effort this way because you are working the press at its best leverage point and just forming a little at a time . You will be surprised how easy it is and can get by with a "less expensive" press.
Mike 56
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Mike 56 »

I reformed some 30-06 LC brass to 8mm Mauser it was really easy to do on my new cast iron press. I lubed the cases with RCBS sizing lube and sized the cases a little at a time with out the expander after the cases were reformed the cases ran the cases back though sizer die with the expander. Tomorrow my 7.7 dies and case timing gauges will be here. I will be reforming some more cases. :D
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Actually doing the step form method doesn't impart less stress load it just does it under a shorter impulse at the leverage peak.

Any ''0'' press should be strong enough for reforming 06' to any of the x57s . I'm saying 1 step from 35 Whelen to 257 Robertsis a good idea. 25,270,280,30-06' to 8x57 to 7.7 should be pretty easy on gear and brass.

Here's a little trick that is really great if you shoot only 1 mil surp per cartridge . Form w/o the decapper/expander, anneal the new neck/shoulder, prime ,charge w/3 grains of Red Dot or other common shotgun/pistol/cast bullet powder fill the case w/corn meal/Grits/cream of Wheat w/ a wax plug if you have to leave home. Fire, trim to a line.
Here's what you get. A case that is 95% ,the shoulder won't be 100% sharp until you fire the 1st full tilt load of 25-30kpsi. A defined case mouth line for that rifle and accurate leade/throat diminsions for the cast and paper patching folks. Its also handy for unknown chamberings.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Are you using the bushings? If I hadn't of long ago bought the RCBS kit I would buy the Classic Cast just because of those bushings. They beat the tar out of the Hornady version that I've had work loose in my LNL AP. And the real rub is they cost less!!!

Return to “Single Stage”