All “C” and “O” type Lee presses.
hodgieno3
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Would you pick non-breechlock or one that has

Post by hodgieno3 »

Hi
Asking the question on the Lee Classic Cast press I am thinking of getting,do I get one with breechlock or one with out and can you tell me why please?

Would be interested in finding out which one would be best?
TIA
Cheers

hodgieno3

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3,We caught them and we shot them under rule 3-0-3" : Lt Harry "Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Would you pick non-breechlock or one that has

Post by daboone »

It's a matter of speed vs cost. I pretty sure most of us started without the breech lock or bushing inovations. I believe it is a important and necessary to learn how how setup and adjust dies. Certainly a press w/o these bushing forces that education. Additionally they are less expensive as the adaptors are expensive especially the ones that lock in the adjustment.
I'll be the first to admit that the cost didn't stop me from upgrading. Ease and convenience were the motivators or the fact that my lazy gene kicked in. :roll: In fact ease and convenience motivated me to buy a press that does not require lock rings or shellholders. Sadly it's not a Lee. But if I was just starting out I'd go, as I did, without the upgrades. The learning curve of learning how to adjust dies is now thankfully second nature and a ongoing necessity no matter what kind of press you use if you load more than one caliber and cast bullets or multiple bullet styles.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

If you use lockable die nuts, there is no need for bushings. I'd prefer this, since I have heard of two or three bushings actually breaking.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

My press is the Breech Lock Challenger which I use mainly for utility type dies; decapping, bullet sizing, etc. I have bushings but don't use them will all the dies. First, the dies will not store in their original boxes (Lee may have corrected that with current boxes). Next, the Lock Pin and spring has a life limit. Recently, I've noticed that my bushings rotate past the stop and are a female dog to release. When that goes unnoticed, the dies are out of any length adjustment, be it ever so slight. I haven't wanted to look into it as I'm afraid that the aluminum hole is worn rather than the steel lock pin.

What I have noticed over time is that I'm leaving a bushing in the socket and use the dies with a lock ring.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

I have the bushing type. I have two issues with it. Some bushings fit tightly but others have a fair bit of play. I believe this may add to inconsistencies in seating depth. If you have a lot of dies you will find the cost of those bushings soon adds up.

I found myself swapping out or readjusting dies often enough that I simply installed the tightest bushing in the press and just screw in whatever die I need. I have started buy lock rings.
larryw

Post by larryw »

I used a Breach lock challenger for a long time, loved those quick change bushings.
That is till the new wore off & my investment in bushings was huge. I have my tried & true go to
bullets, but I do like to try everything I can it seems. Found myself constantly re-adjusting like
MacD.
Anyway. I just put in a new tight bushing & screwed them in & out and adjusting every time
just like the old days.
Good luck & keep us posted
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
hodgieno3
Supporter
Supporter

Post by hodgieno3 »

daboone wrote:It's a matter of speed vs cost. I pretty sure most of us started without the breech lock or bushing inovations. I believe it is a important and necessary to learn how how setup and adjust dies. Certainly a press w/o these bushing forces that education. Additionally they are less expensive as the adaptors are expensive especially the ones that lock in the adjustment.
I'll be the first to admit that the cost didn't stop me from upgrading. Ease and convenience were the motivators or the fact that my lazy gene kicked in. :roll: In fact ease and convenience motivated me to buy a press that does not require lock rings or shellholders. Sadly it's not a Lee. But if I was just starting out I'd go, as I did, without the upgrades. The learning curve of learning how to adjust dies is now thankfully second nature and a ongoing necessity no matter what kind of press you use if you load more than one caliber and cast bullets or multiple bullet styles.
daboone
Thanks for the reply
I have had a single stage press and I know how to adjust the dies,I reload for a few calibers,but sometimes it is only a box or two to see what a certain load or cast bullet will do,I like the idea of the breechlock system,but then there is a varible that might make things move(breechlock bush),still have to think on it though but thank you for the reply.
Cheers

hodgieno3

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3,We caught them and we shot them under rule 3-0-3" : Lt Harry "Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902
hodgieno3
Supporter
Supporter

Post by hodgieno3 »

Fyodor wrote:If you use lockable die nuts, there is no need for bushings. I'd prefer this, since I have heard of two or three bushings actually breaking.
:o :o Really,I thought they looked like they were virtually built like a tank.,did you see the end result of the breakage?,Thanks for that.
Cheers

hodgieno3

hodgieno3
Supporter
Supporter

Post by hodgieno3 »

Ranch Dog wrote:My press is the Breech Lock Challenger which I use mainly for utility type dies; decapping, bullet sizing, etc. I have bushings but don't use them will all the dies. First, the dies will not store in their original boxes (Lee may have corrected that with current boxes). Next, the Lock Pin and spring has a life limit. Recently, I've noticed that my bushings rotate past the stop and are a female dog to release. When that goes unnoticed, the dies are out of any length adjustment, be it ever so slight. I haven't wanted to look into it as I'm afraid that the aluminum hole is worn rather than the steel lock pin.

What I have noticed over time is that I'm leaving a bushing in the socket and use the dies with a lock ring.
RD
So the bushings are a bit of a pain in the you know what,are they made out of steel or cast alloy?
The Classic Cast that does not have the breechlock,is that the one that has an adapter in it so you can use the die with a lock ring and later if you want you can use a breechlock,I thought I saw that somewhere?
Thanks mate
Cheers

hodgieno3

hodgieno3
Supporter
Supporter

Post by hodgieno3 »

Macd wrote:I have the bushing type. I have two issues with it. Some bushings fit tightly but others have a fair bit of play. I believe this may add to inconsistencies in seating depth. If you have a lot of dies you will find the cost of those bushings soon adds up.

I found myself swapping out or readjusting dies often enough that I simply installed the tightest bushing in the press and just screw in whatever die I need. I have started buy lock rings.
Macd
The bushings that have play,are they worn out or just the tolerances are out a bit,would there be a fix for that,other than getting new bushes?
Cheers

hodgieno3

Return to “Single Stage”