All “C” and “O” type Lee presses.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Would you pick non-breechlock or one that has

Post by daboone »

Karla was my first, opps I mean my dad's SS Herters was my first. :oops:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

My single stage has the breech lock bushing and I did not like it from day one, so I used thread locker and sealed it in the press and use it like there is no bushing. The bushing has had to be re- thread locked once in the two years I have used it. I really like it with not putting the bushing in and out, just leaving it in there locked in. I now have the value turret as well and have been very pleased with it. I prefer the single stage press for rifle cartridges and the turret for pistol cartridges. That is my 2 cents.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

daboone wrote:Karla was my first, opps I mean my dad's SS Herters was my first. :oops:
I want to assume "Karla" was your pet name for your first truck lol.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Actually that Herters was my first love. Well it was an even tie with shooting its reloads. I was able to get a driver's license for another 6 years.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
hodgieno3
Supporter
Supporter

Post by hodgieno3 »

JohnnyEnfield wrote:My single stage has the breech lock bushing and I did not like it from day one, so I used thread locker and sealed it in the press and use it like there is no bushing. The bushing has had to be re- thread locked once in the two years I have used it. I really like it with not putting the bushing in and out, just leaving it in there locked in. I now have the value turret as well and have been very pleased with it. I prefer the single stage press for rifle cartridges and the turret for pistol cartridges. That is my 2 cents.
Hey Mate
That sounds like a good idea,but I am seriously thinking of getting a turret press,a Classic Cast and have just scored an old Simplex(Australian brand) O frame press in good nick :D
Cheers

hodgieno3

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3,We caught them and we shot them under rule 3-0-3" : Lt Harry "Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902
hodgieno3
Supporter
Supporter

Post by hodgieno3 »

Ranch Dog wrote:Now, you're talking!

Did want to steer hodgieno3 away from his original interest, but I would go with the Classic Turret. Auto-indexing of the turret is limited to 3.113", but you can manually index the turret for just about anything else. Not sure what you are going to do with your 50 BMG though.

There is the new Auto Breech Lock out there, but then you are back to the Breech Lock Bushings vs. a turret.
Rd
Yep,I might go with the Classic Cast turret press,I have nothing like the 50BMG,biggest is a 45/70,tell me is a three hole turret the same size as a 4 hole turret(just have got ideas for storing them in pvc pipe)? +guns
Cheers

hodgieno3

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3,We caught them and we shot them under rule 3-0-3" : Lt Harry "Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

hodgieno3 wrote:
Fyodor wrote:If you use lockable die nuts, there is no need for bushings. I'd prefer this, since I have heard of two or three bushings actually breaking.
:o :o Really,I thought they looked like they were virtually built like a tank.,did you see the end result of the breakage?,Thanks for that.
I've seen one at a friend's place, that was split lengthwise. I've heard from at least one other guy on a German forum that he had the same issue.

Personally I don't see a great advantage in using bushings instead of lockable rings, but I see potential uncertainties and possibilities for errors and defects.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
hodgieno3
Supporter
Supporter

Post by hodgieno3 »

Fyodor wrote:
hodgieno3 wrote:
Fyodor wrote:If you use lockable die nuts, there is no need for bushings. I'd prefer this, since I have heard of two or three bushings actually breaking.
:o :o Really,I thought they looked like they were virtually built like a tank.,did you see the end result of the breakage?,Thanks for that.
I've seen one at a friend's place, that was split lengthwise. I've heard from at least one other guy on a German forum that he had the same issue.

Personally I don't see a great advantage in using bushings instead of lockable rings, but I see potential uncertainties and possibilities for errors and defects.
Fyodor
It would have been interesting to see the split bushing,like a photo. I wonder if Lee would have replaced it for the bloke that it broke on?? :)
Cheers

hodgieno3

Fyodor
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

Sorry, don't have a photo, but have seen the broken part with my own eyes. Just one crack along one side, didn't fall in two pieces. LEE did replace the one broken bushing with a new pack of two.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

The 3 and 4 hole turrets are the same size. Somewhere here I have pictures of the rack I built to store mine but couldn't find the post in minutes of searching...
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Single Stage”