Would you pick non-breechlock or one that has

All “C” and “O” type Lee presses.
hodgieno3
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Would you pick non-breechlock or one that has

Post by hodgieno3 »

larryw wrote:I used a Breach lock challenger for a long time, loved those quick change bushings.
That is till the new wore off & my investment in bushings was huge. I have my tried & true go to
bullets, but I do like to try everything I can it seems. Found myself constantly re-adjusting like
MacD.
Anyway. I just put in a new tight bushing & screwed them in & out and adjusting every time
just like the old days.
Good luck & keep us posted
larryw
Seems like the bushing system might be a pain,thinking now of just a normal single stage press again,wish I had not sold my old one off now,have to think on this for I reload for about 16 different calibers,so that would be a lot of bushes :shock:
Cheers

hodgieno3

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3,We caught them and we shot them under rule 3-0-3" : Lt Harry "Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

hodgieno3 wrote: The bushings that have play,are they worn out or just the tolerances are out a bit,would there be a fix for that,other than getting new bushes?
There are four important tolerances in the bushings.
1. Diameter
2. Threads (major and minor diameter, thickness and angle)
3. Distance from top ring underside to threads in press.
4. Position of notch in relationship to thread sections

In the navy we would call the threads a "slack fit". Assuming diameter is correct, the notch is the critical element. If it is even slightly off location in relationship to the others the bushing will be tight or loose. In most cases it is loose indicating to me that this is the normal situation.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

hodgieno3 wrote:[So the bushings are a bit of a pain in the you know what,are they made out of steel or cast alloy?
I believe the bushings are steel. I think they would have to be given the thin walls.
hodgieno3 wrote:The Classic Cast that does not have the breechlock,is that the one that has an adapter in it so you can use the die with a lock ring and later if you want you can use a breechlock,I thought I saw that somewhere?
The basic Classic Cast is #90998 and the Breech Lock is #90999. Yes, the basic press uses lock rings. Given the number of cartridges you are reloading, you won't use the bushings.

My question is, do you really need the beef of the Classic Cast? I didn't even though I reload 29 different cartridges. I purchased the Breech Lock Challenger press on sale and it was half the price of the Classic Cast. Given that you are loading several cartridges what about a turret or the Breech Lock Pro. You can set your dies up once and be done with it.
Michael
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

I started reloading on a single stage about 1970-71 (Plain old Challenger, after a Lee Loader). At first it was sorta a hassle but I soon learned how to adjust dies and it became just an easy part of reloading, no big deal. I have two single stage presses w/o breech lock bushings, and I rarely think about any extra time adjusting dies (But, my go to press that I do 90% of my reloading on is a Co-Ax.)

I would recommend to a new reloader to get a "regular" single stage or use a breech lok press w/o the "quick change" application to learn how to properly adjust dies. Many times overlooked by new fellers or teachers, correct die adjustment is essential for good ammo, and an absolute necessity for troubleshooting...
Dannymcmullen

Post by Dannymcmullen »

I wish i would have started with the turret press it will load all cartridges but the 50 bmg and you can take out the rod and it works as a single stage press but its just my opinion i have the breech lock challenger press i started with it gets used for depriming & bullet sizing only.
An avid reloader is one poor sole
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Yep the LCT does double as an excellent single stage. I had one turret that was expressly for SS use. It had 2 Lee expanders one with the large and the other with the small expander, the decapping die and a bullet puller. Yep it's a good single stage and a great turret.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
hodgieno3
Supporter
Supporter

Post by hodgieno3 »

Ranch Dog wrote:
hodgieno3 wrote:[So the bushings are a bit of a pain in the you know what,are they made out of steel or cast alloy?
I believe the bushings are steel. I think they would have to be given the thin walls.
hodgieno3 wrote:The Classic Cast that does not have the breechlock,is that the one that has an adapter in it so you can use the die with a lock ring and later if you want you can use a breechlock,I thought I saw that somewhere?
The basic Classic Cast is #90998 and the Breech Lock is #90999. Yes, the basic press uses lock rings. Given the number of cartridges you are reloading, you won't use the bushings.

My question is, do you really need the beef of the Classic Cast? I didn't even though I reload 29 different cartridges. I purchased the Breech Lock Challenger press on sale and it was half the price of the Classic Cast. Given that you are loading several cartridges what about a turret or the Breech Lock Pro. You can set your dies up once and be done with it.
RD
I am rethinking getting one and leaning towards a turret press,but are they not sort of the same as a breechlock bushing,the lock up,I have seen one my mate has and it has a bit of play in the turret,but then it is a pretty old press too ;)
I think to set up my dies,then not touch them only when an adjustment was necessary would be a better way to go and to store the dies and turrets,the only drawback is the turret here in Australia are $32+ for a three holer and more for a 4 holer,cripes! :o :o
Cheers

hodgieno3

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3,We caught them and we shot them under rule 3-0-3" : Lt Harry "Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902
hodgieno3
Supporter
Supporter

Post by hodgieno3 »

Dannymcmullen wrote:I wish i would have started with the turret press it will load all cartridges but the 50 bmg and you can take out the rod and it works as a single stage press but its just my opinion i have the breech lock challenger press i started with it gets used for depriming & bullet sizing only.
Yep,agree looking at a turret press right now. ;)
Cheers

hodgieno3

GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

LCT was my first.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Now, you're talking!

Did want to steer hodgieno3 away from his original interest, but I would go with the Classic Turret. Auto-indexing of the turret is limited to 3.113", but you can manually index the turret for just about anything else. Not sure what you are going to do with your 50 BMG though.

There is the new Auto Breech Lock out there, but then you are back to the Breech Lock Bushings vs. a turret.
Michael

Return to “Single Stage”