I can't believe I broke my press!

All “C” and “O” type Lee presses.
Fullthrottle
My Press Choice: Hand Press

I can't believe I broke my press!

Post by Fullthrottle »

Ok I can believe it since it is right there in front of me. Strange place to break in my opinion. I have had this press since I began reloading in '08, I load far more pistol than rifle through it.
Today while processing around 300 pieces of .38spcl brass I just happened to look down and see a crack(I proceeded to finish brass processing, since it was still fully functional), I finished the remaining brass and proceeded to disassemble the press.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
As I remove the part and inspect it, it breaks off completely! That is the linkage side that has the handle on it. I was quite surprised for sure.
Good thing, is it is a $5 part from FSReloading!

And before anybody asks....I have no realistic idea how many rounds have been through it since I bought it new in '08.

Anybody else have to repair their press at some time in it's life?
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: I can't believe I broke my press!

Post by 62chevy »

JB Weld should hold it till the new piece comes in. :shock: Unless it has oil on it then all bets are off.
Je suis Charlie
Model 52
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Model 52 »

Degrease it thoroughly with brake cleaner, then JB weld it.
Fullthrottle

Post by Fullthrottle »

Sorry guys, I hold NO faith in JB weld! As a machinist and automotive technician I have seen the poor product JB has to offer and what it can't do! I would be better off putting the pieces back in the press(as they were and continuing to reload)!

Thanks for the ideas though.

I am not too concerned as I ordered the parts from FSreloading after I posted this...should be to me in no time! They are very good at shipping the product out fast. I ordered two of them....just in case!
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

I've spent many years repairing diesels and know the limitations of JB Weld well. That's why the until the new parts arrived.

My stuff comes from Titan and usually get it in 2 or 3 days and just hear about FS Reloading from you and FortuneCookie45LC on Youtube so now they are bookmarked for thing you can't get at Titan.
Je suis Charlie
Model 52
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Model 52 »

Fullthrottle wrote:Sorry guys, I hold NO faith in JB weld! As a machinist and automotive technician I have seen the poor product JB has to offer and what it can't do!
Duh...that's why you always wrap it in duct tape as well. :D

I don't think anyone was seriously suggesting you actually fix it with JB Weld...

I use it now and then as bedding compound however.
Rooster59

Post by Rooster59 »

Sorry to hear about your press Fullthrottle. Maybe you should try using it at "three quarters throttle"? :)

Looks like an internal flaw in that link may have gone undetected during the part inspection process?
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I had the big bolt in the linkage on my Classic Turret break. I assume I had set it too tight and it broke apart in the threads clean through the bolt. A quick trip to Home Depot and a Grade 8 bolt later and I was back up and running. I think I would destroy the linkage before I break that new bolt. I just figure stuff breaks. It was an easy fix. There isn't really an expensive part on a Lee press.
Fullthrottle

Post by Fullthrottle »

Rooster59 wrote:Sorry to hear about your press Fullthrottle. Maybe you should try using it at "three quarters throttle"? :)
LOL good point! Great response! :D

Who knows what happened. I can't say the crack wasn't there weeks or months ago.....I just noticed it!

For a $5 part I am not in any way mad! The replacement is scheduled to be at my door Friday. No worries from me!

Could have been bad casting from the factory or just some bad luck, I duno!
Fullthrottle

Post by Fullthrottle »

Parts in hand a day sooner than expected! I got the pieces today, so this weekend I will be back up and loading! (not like I do much reloading during the work week).

Seeing as I ordered the parts late Sunday night, and I live in CA, FSreloading is in WI, I call that fast shipping, thanks FSrelaoding!

Return to “Single Stage”