9mm luger primer issues

All “C” and “O” type Lee presses.
franklin73
My Press Choice: Single Stage

9mm luger primer issues

Post by franklin73 »

Ok, so I'm VERY new to all this. Just started removing primers from some brass yesterday. The first 300 went very well. The primers popped out just like the videos. My wife wanted to help, so I said give it a try. After just TWO pieces of brass she said that's too much work and went back upstairs. Well, here's the strange part---when I started removing the primers again, over half of the ones I tried, nearly 100 out of 200 the primer did NOT come out all the way and I had to re-set the old primer in order to get the brass out of the shell holder. I tried multiple times to get the die to work on these shells but nothing. What's going on? There were no problems before my wife wanted to help. Did she put a jink on me or what??? Anyone else have issue like this? Is there something I'm doing wrong?
bayou
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: 9mm luger primer issues

Post by bayou »

Usually, when a primer doesn't pop out all of way, but only partially, it's usually due to my die backing out of the press just a shade. So, just screw it back all the way down.

If that's not the problem, I then set the primer rod a bit deeper to assure it's deep enough to fully pop the primers.

Try those steps and let us know how things go.

I don't think it's your wife - I haven't met a press yet that didn't like a feminine touch....! :)

Bayou
bayou
NRA Life Member
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I was typing a reply when Bayou responded so to add a bit more about the die, make sure it is set to the instructions to include a check that the base of the die is fully seated against the shell holder. Sometimes the die must be turned in a slight bit more after it is tested with a case. There should be any gap above the shell holder. Here is what I was going to reply...

In that the primers were partially removed, it sounds like the Decapper Rod has slipped up a bit past the top surface of the Decapper Clamp. If this is the case, the top of the Decapper will be something above flush with the top of the Decapper Clamp.
full_length_sizer_instrucitions.jpg
The Decapper is supposed to slip to prevent the primer punch pin from breaking off. The slip could have happened if the Decapper Clamp wasn't tightened down with "considerable torque," it might have taken 300 cases for it to work loose. It also could be, in that you wife is newer at this than even you, that a case was not fully seated in the shell holder. These are small cases, and a little is a lot, if the Decapper did match the flash hole, the rod would be pushed above the Clamp. In this latter case, everything worked as it should, and the Decapper needs to be reset flush with the top of the Clamp per the instructions.

Oh, welcome to the forum!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
franklin73

Post by franklin73 »

So I should take the die apart as IF there were a piece of brass stuck inside it?
Is there any way for me to set the de-priming pin too deep? I was going to do this but didn't want to mess something up. With the last 100 or so shells, it DID work for 1-3 shells, then wouldn't remove the primer for 1-3 shells, then again would, then wouldn't etc.
bayou

Post by bayou »

I typically adjust the die this way:

Raise the ram with an empty shellholder all the way up. Then screw down the die until it touches the shellholder. Tighten the lock ring on the die so as to keep the die at this position.

At that point, test the die to see if it properly pops out the primers. When testing, use gentle and steady pressure on the ram. If the primers don't pop out completely, or if your rod bottoms out in the empty shell case, simply adjust the primer rod up or down as needed.

With the die screwed down to touch the shellholder, it always remains in a set, standard position.

Hope this helps.

Bayou
Last edited by bayou on 27 Feb 2017 10:32, edited 2 times in total.
bayou
NRA Life Member
franklin73

Post by franklin73 »

Thanks. I did exactly that yesterday, I even gave the die a full turn instead of the recommended 1/4-1/3 turn to see if that helped. It did not. What next?
Do you think the temperature had anything to do with it?
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

No, temperature will have nothing to do with it. Reset your die per instructions (touching the shell holder) for 9mm you won't need the die "in" any further. The decapping rod is the thing you need to check. Either it isn't set far enough into the die or the tip has been bent or broken. The top of the depriming pin should be even (level) with the top of the collet that holds the rod in place in the die. Tighten it (the collet) down TIGHT..
franklin73

Post by franklin73 »

The die isn't broken it still worked fine on a several other shells.
The pin, sticks out of the bottom of the die, just a fraction, maybe 1/8 inch or so. Do I need to remove the top split bolt and readjust the pin?
bayou

Post by bayou »

If your die is locked down to touch the empty shellholder, then yes, drop your decapping pin down a bit further. And as Horseman advised, tighten that decapping pin collet nut very tightly to keep it from slipping back up and becoming undadjusted again.

I suspect your decapping pin/rod creepiing upwards in the die is your problem to begin with. Once it's in the right position for decapping, locking it tightly will solve your issue.

Good luck!

Bayou
bayou
NRA Life Member
franklin73

Post by franklin73 »

Thank you, I'll give that a try. I'll let you know how it goes too. It's nice to find some folks to ask for help.
I'm loading for a CZ-75BD in 9mm luger. Using Winchester primers, once fired brass, TITEGROUP at 3.9-4.3 grains, most likely will begin at 4.0 grains, using Berry's plated RN 115 grain bullets. I'm going to load 50 and then shoot them at my range and see how accurate they are at 30 feet. Out of the box with 115 grain FMJ winchester ammo at 30 feet I shot 4 inch groups. Any tips on anything else reloading wise is appreciated.

Return to “Single Stage”