C press

All “C” and “O” type Lee presses.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: C press

Post by mikld »

If you are just starting reloading, why buy 2 presses? K.I.S.S. An "O" frame press will do everything you need to do starting out. Most "C" frame presses will do much the same (I personally have never seen a broken Lee "C" press and I really don't pay much attention to what "they" say. You don't know what "they" did to break their press, a too small die and a 24" cheater bar?). I have a dedicated "Depriming/Bullet sizing Press" and often just deprime on my regular old Lee Turret...
mgbbob
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by mgbbob »

I like that idea. thanks
trashysquid

Post by trashysquid »

I bought the C press for depriming, but I now use it to size and chamfer using the EZ Trim. But since it's mounted to my bench, I ended up doing most of my depriming and sizing with a Lee Hand Press. Of all the Lee gear I use, I believe that this tool is one of the most ingenious things to come out of Lee. It has greatly sped up my rifle brass conditioning.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

That Lee hand press is a very convenient tool. I really started using it a lot more once I upgraded to the newer style with bushings. At home it's used for depriming. At the range I use it for bullet seating on load work ups.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I need to add this comment about using the Lee Hand Press as a decapper; keep a trash can nearby as it fills fast and can be a bit messy if not shaken out rather frequently.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

daboone wrote:I need to add this comment about using the Lee Hand Press as a decapper; keep a trash can nearby as it fills fast and can be a bit messy if not shaken out rather frequently.

yep, about 35 spp's or 30 lpp's

been there, done that a few hundred times :)

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
buddha1percent

Post by buddha1percent »

I use my C press for everything. I vacuum the spent primers out takes about two seconds
Once I lubed the reciprocating parts with Lucas oil stabilzer it smoothed out perfect.
I have reloaded thousands of rounds with my little c press and it has never failed me
I usually load .45 colt or .38/.357 straight walled pistol cases so I dont have to reef on it a whole lot.
If I was doing long rifle cases a O press might be worth it but I will cross that bridge when I get there.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Kind of an old topic but it was near the top of the single stage section...

I have a cast c-press I use for oopsies. I can fix an issue in the midst of a run and get that case back in line instead of setting it aside and making a note what needs done....then having to finish it all by itself at the end of the session. It was actually the first single I got. I got it after my turret. I liked the single enough I added a older (large) O-shaped offset Lee.

Plus....if I have my O set up for a run of something and I wanna try an experiment or make a few of a different caliber I'll jump over to it to keep the set up safe on the O.

I think I got it for $15 shipped with the original (old looking) box. I mounted it close to the edge of my bench and wallered out the edge of the table top just a little to let the primers fall. I've since moved it to another bench and have to dismount it every few months to clear out the primers. I may try to mod (or something similar) shown.

The o-press scatters primers everywhere....haven't tried to invent a solution for that yet.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
mikld

Post by mikld »

The original post sounds like you want to use a C press for decapping only, as you might already have a "regular" press. If so, no it isn't necessary and for a new reloader the extra cost of a second press isn't worth it. Your single stage or turret press can very easily deprime brass and is a bit less trouble than moving presses (unless you have a lot of room and can set up a few presses on the bench. I once read of a reloader that used a separate press for each step; one for sizing/decapping, one tool/press for priming, one press to seat bullets...).
barracudadave67

Post by barracudadave67 »

I have a C press set up as a dedicated deprimer. I raised it off the bench with some spacers and drilled a whole under it, and the dead primers fall into a catch container underneath the press. some bounce out onto the floor, but not many. I also have one set up to ram prime, and I have another I use for crimping. They are good little presses, and work for me.

barracudadave67

Return to “Single Stage”