So how many in our ranks use a single stage? and Why?

All “C” and “O” type Lee presses.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: So how many in our ranks use a single stage? and Why?

Post by akuser47 »

agreed for sure.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Yes, single stage gets used first. If it is 50 rounds or less. Have 2 turrets set up, one 45acp, the other 9mm so I don't have to change them and tinker. The hand press gets some use too, especially when I take to hunting camp. Easy to do primed, sized cases that way, just put powder and bullet and can adjust loads while target shooting. Love em.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Agreed keep it com ing loaders any makes and models less hear your process annd why and how and results if you have any to note. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
graphic914
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by graphic914 »

Love my single stage. I feel I get better bullets with it
jdrslyr75

Post by jdrslyr75 »

While I haven't used it yet, I just purchased a breech lock challenger. I have spent the better part of a year researching what press to buy as a starter press and I decided on the breech lock challenger. For me, reloading is a relaxing hobby that will allow me to enjoy shooting more ammo for the same price as buying it. I am not trying to see how many rounds I can load per hour, rather taking my time and loading precise ammo. Just my $.02
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

jdrslyr75 wrote:While I haven't used it yet, I just purchased a breech lock challenger. I have spent the better part of a year researching what press to buy as a starter press and I decided on the breech lock challenger. For me, reloading is a relaxing hobby that will allow me to enjoy shooting more ammo for the same price as buying it. I am not trying to see how many rounds I can load per hour, rather taking my time and loading precise ammo. Just my $.02
The Challenger is a great first press. I highly recommend the Safety Prime added to it so you aren't having to touch each primer to drop in the cup. And check out Lee's lock ring eliminator bushings:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/219749 ... ckage-of-2

I see they are out of stock right now but due in right away. The regular lock rings work but can work loose over time but not these babies.
jdrslyr75

Post by jdrslyr75 »

I bought the Anniversary Kit so the Safety Prime is included. I will definitely check out those lock ring eliminators. I am planning on getting another order together over the next month or so, after I start using the equipment, because I probably forgot to pick up a few things the first time around so keep the suggestions coming!
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I think the Anniversary kit is better since it comes with the Safety Prime system but that's just my opinion.

The Lee Perfect Powder Measure... Take this worth a grain of salt. I think the PPM is a great powder measure and was not an hour ago using it with Accurate #9 for loading some .357 magnum loads. I prefer to stack the odds in my favor when it comes to powders. What I'm saying is I tend to avoid most flake powders if I can. Unique and Trail boss are both good powders but they are some of the worst powders at gumming up, bridging, and dropping bad amounts because they bulk up so much before dropping. You may find that tapping your finger or thumping it with your thumb will help but I choose to instead avoid powders that are even troublemakers at all. Bullseye and Power Pistol seem to work OK but both are smaller flake powders. And I found that the small extruded sticks in IMR 3031 and Hodgdon Varget measure out well enough but I still prefer rifle ball powders anyways as they measure perfectly in just about any powder measure. In fact, I favor the Accurate line of pistol powders as they are almost all ball powders and they offer them across the burn rate charts in anything you should ever need. #2 is a good Bullseye replacement, I'm not sure if #5 is quite the same as Unique or #7, and #9 makes a good swap for 2400, and I have yet to find their slowest burning pistol powders in stock anywhere yet. I was aiming for 12.4 gr of #9 and measuring the first ten drops to make sure I had it just right I had eight of them perfect, one at 12.3, and one I tried tapping it with my finger that gave 12.5 gr. You don't get better than that no matter how much money you spend. And I spent way too much on my RCBS Uniflow to be able to get accurate drops having to buy both the small and large drums. And here I am still using my PPM.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Breech Lock Challenger, compact, well made.
I like to batch load, & IMHO, can never inspect to much,
before the slug is seated. Only complaint was the
small wood ball handle, which I replaced with
a pool ball, 8 ball to be exact, much nicer on these
beat up hands.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

larryw wrote:Only complaint was the small wood ball handle, which I replaced with a pool ball, 8 ball to be exact, much nicer on these beat up hands.
:idea: Try adding a little baby powder on the ball and it becomes even easier on those meat hooks. :D
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.

Return to “Single Stage”