So how many in our ranks use a single stage? and Why?

All “C” and “O” type Lee presses.
Model 52
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Re: So how many in our ranks use a single stage? and Why?

Post by Model 52 »

I've used an RCBS Jr. since I was 12 (36 years and counting). It's mounted right next to my Dillon 550B and gets used for the precision rifle calibers as well as for bullet pulling and primer pocket swaging.

I also have a Lee Hand Press that gets used on Black Powder cartridge rifle loads and in the field.

There's always room for a hand press in my opinion, no matter how fancy you get.
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Steelbanger »

I switch off between an RCBS Big Max and a Rock Chucker as both are bolted to my bench. Suits me just fine as I have no plans to change my set-up. I always manage to load all the bullets I can cast on my single stage press.

What I wish Lee would produce is a casting machine that would produce about 5,000 bullets/hour and utilize their 6 cavity moulds. Ah, dreaming again.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

You know that would be cool, but I bet beyond most peoples means to afford it and prob. beyond most of us in how to keep it tuned to produce bullets. I like the idea and LEE would be the company to do it if it can be done.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steelbanger wrote:What I wish Lee would produce is a casting machine that would produce about 5,000 bullets/hour and utilize their 6 cavity moulds. Ah, dreaming again.
It would probably be cheaper for me to hire a worker to cast, lube and size 40 hours a week until all my stock is gone.
Michael
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

I started with a Lee loader, then a single stage, then a turret, and still use 2 single stage presses for priming, bullet sizing, and when the turret is busy. Always a use for a single stage.
prsman23
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by prsman23 »

I still use my rock chucker. I do my rifle decap/size operations on it. Also I use the nifty new lee trimmer with it. Then finish them off in my blue press.
Or if I am doing some small test batches I'll use the rock chucker.
I've got the lee hand press I use on the while on the road for business. Many a nights gone by in a hotel popping primers and sizing brass.
olderndirt
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by olderndirt »

I started out with a RCBS Rock Chucker back in 69, still have it and use it the most. I have worn out one Lee Hand Press, loaned out two others and never got them back. Still use two hand loaders for small batches or sizing pistol brass watching Nascar races. Moved up to Lee Classic turret and still use it single stage mostly. Bought a Hornady AP and use it for pistol mostly. I prefer the single stage for rifles and even smaller batches of pistol ammo. I also have a 12 and 20 gauge shotgun loader. The older I get the more I enjoy loading and letting the wife empty them for me. :D
I do almost all priming with Lee Hand Primer, I like feeling the primer seat.
Dan 444

Post by Dan 444 »

I use the Lee Classic Cast single stage and reload for 219Zipper, 218Bee, 32-20, 30-30, 35Rem, 32WS, 38-55, 356Win, 375Win, 444 Marlin and 45-70 Govt. The single stage is fine with me.....I'm in no rush......gonna be reitired in a few months.

Dan
Last edited by Dan 444 on 21 Jul 2013 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

I would like to take a moment to thank you all for sharing your info I know a vast majority start on a single stage of some sort and am glad to hear how it has served you. I am not biased by any means I am just poor and have what I started with and I tend to stick with it someday I will have a lee 4hole, maybe santa will get it for me if I am good enough :twisted: Keep the stories coming +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Fullthrottle
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Fullthrottle »

akuser47 wrote:I would like to take a moment to thank you all for sharing your info I know a vast majority start on a single stage of some sort and am glad to hear how it has served you. I am not biased by any means I am just poor and have what I started with and I tend to stick with it someday I will have a lee 4hole, maybe santa will get it for me if I am good enough :twisted: Keep the stories coming +corn

I feel your pain! With all the "hobbies"(most revolve around firearms....but not all), I too have yet to find the funds for a Lee turret(getting close though), I too have stuck with what works for me, and I am happy with the single stage, but the turret press would sure speed up the plinking pistol loads.

I even use the auto disc pro on my single stage just as a small bump to my reload sessions.

Return to “Single Stage”