Offset Linkage on an older challenger press

All “C” and “O” type Lee presses.
Poppy42
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Offset Linkage on an older challenger press

Post by Poppy42 »

original_challenger.jpg
Well I got to try out my new old press today and it works great! And I still can’t figure out how to rotate an image!!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ranch Dog on 14 May 2020 04:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed. Need to use a image editor to rotate the picture.
Long, Wide, Deep, and without Hesitations!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good to see it ready for work!
Michael
Poppy42

Post by Poppy42 »

Ok well I posted pics of my new old press in action yesterday! Were did my post go? You know what they say “ 99% of all computer errors are cause by the loose not behind the keyboard!“ oh well I’ll re-post them tomorrow. LOL
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I found a patent drawing of your press! It is on the cover of Lee's Modern Reloading. You can tell it is the original press as the primer catcher is on the right side of the reloader vs. the left side on the Breech Lock.
Modern_Reloading_Challenger.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Poppy42

Post by Poppy42 »

Very cool! I’ll have to check my copy. I would still love to know when mine was made. I think I’ve got it narrowed down to late 80’s early 90’s. It best it’s just a guess on my part.

On a side note I love having a Lee product that’s been around and functioning like it did the day it was made, 40 years later! We’ve all had experience dealing with reloading snobs. You know the blue crew, the orange meanies, or members of the church of green. ( I hope everyone gets my implications) Each and everyone will gladly inform you that if you own a piece of reloading equipment that isn’t the same color as whatever brand they have, it isn’t worth owning! Especially if it’s a Lee product. After all they paid 10 time as much for there big blue machine as I did for my Lee classic turret! Don’t get me wrong I’m certainly nocking other equipment Manufacturers. I own reloading equipment made by just about every company there is. And I love every piece of equipment I own. ( I wouldn’t keep it if it didn’t work) But when it come to best value/ bang for your buck, I love me some Lee product! And I guess there’s a little bit of the devil in me cause I do take pleasure in rubbing the nose of a reloading snob in things like my 30 or 40 year old challenger press! LOL. Ok enough ranting on my part, just having a little fun so please no hate mail. Ha ha.

Anyway thank you everyone for all the help getting information on my new to me old Lee press. I couldn’t be happier with my latest acquisition. It perfect for my needs!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Poppy, I found a 1992 catalog. That is the oldest dated catalog that I have. I have older issues, but none have a date or the Challenger press.

From the mention, this would be the first year with the steel linkages. So, comparing the linkages your press is older.

1992 does sound very distant to me until I do the math. Older than some of my kids!
Michael

Return to “Single Stage”