Reversing turret rotation

All 3 and 4–hole turret presses.
celem
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Reversing turret rotation

Post by celem »

I was watching a YouTube of a tricked out classic turret e/w reversed rotation. He is mum on how he did it. Does anyone know of a source of rotation shafts that are twisted in reverse?

[youtube][/youtube]
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Reversing turret rotation

Post by Fyodor »

If you have a vice, a blowtorch and some strong pliers you should be able to make it on your own from some square steel.

What would be the benefit of a reversed rotation?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

He didn't much of any thing in fact nothing at all.

He did have a net setup, loved that bullet feeder and the way it knocked the finished bullet into a bin. The rod wouldn't be to hard to make if you had a torch and a way to twist it.
Je suis Charlie
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Fyodor wrote:If you have a vice, a blowtorch and some strong pliers you should be able to make it on your own from some square steel.

What would be the benefit of a reversed rotation?

The benefit of revers rotation would be the location for kicking the finished bullet out of the press.
Je suis Charlie
celem

Post by celem »

Fyodor wrote:If you have a vice, a blowtorch and some strong pliers you should be able to make it on your own from some square steel.
True but I was hoping that there was a pre-made source.
scotland
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by scotland »

All he did was turn the rod over and put the drive head on the other end. Also had a spring to kick out the bullet (another video).
celem

Post by celem »

scotland wrote:All he did was turn the rod over and put the drive head on the other end. Also had a spring to kick out the bullet (another video).
No, re-watch the video. The twist is at the bottom. Reversing the rod would have put the twist at the top, which wouldn't work given that it would be twisting as the case was trying to enter the die. He has to be using a different rod.
celem

Post by celem »

Fyodor wrote:If you have a vice, a blowtorch and some strong pliers you should be able to make it on your own from some square steel...
I tried and failed to make my own. I purchased some 1/4" steel stock at the hardware store; measured; heated the rod cherry red; clamped one end in a vice and grabbed the other end with a 1/4" wrench; twisted 1-1/4 turns, and the result is an unusable mess. The twist is too tight to work in the press.

Obviously, this is not how Lee twists the stock. I suspect that it is clasped in some machine and twisted cold, probably being pulled at a calibrated rate as it is twisted.

So "vice, a blowtorch and some strong pliers" are over-simplifying the twist task and it is beyond my fabrication capabilities.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I too saw this and wanted to copy him. I emailed Lee and asked if they would make one for me custom order and they replied NO. Pfft. Maybe it is some special setup that can't reverse it and they just didn't want to say that. Now I'm glad I didn't buy an extra rod and try to bend it with heat as I'm sure I would have done the same thing. I am still thinking of trying to bend one but I'm not sure you can "unbend" it and then reverse it without the steel giving up and bending all weird. My thinking is it has to stay a certain length as well as the twist.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Find a blacksmith and they should be able to do the reverse twist for you. Might be able to sell a few too.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Turret”