RD's 12 Gauge "Loaders"

The Load-All shot shell loader for the 12, 16, & 20 gauge.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

RD's 12 Gauge "Loaders"

Post by Ranch Dog »

Michael
AlaskanGuy
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: RD's 12 Gauge "Loaders"

Post by AlaskanGuy »

wow.. you got it and its sorta setup??? you tried giving it a turn??? does it turn? come now... tells us what you saw???

he he
Any technology, not understood, can seem like magic....
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

The Load-Fast is so very awesome a sight to see.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

AlaskanGuy wrote:wow.. you got it and its sorta setup???
The fellow I bought it from had been using it to load specific ammo for trapshooting and was being used until recently. He had owned the press since new and taken excellent care of it. I've been through it completely, and I can see use, but no wear, and no abuse.
AlaskanGuy wrote:you tried giving it a turn??? does it turn?
It was supposed to be just a picture, but I screwed it down to the workbench and cycled a spent hull through it.
AlaskanGuy wrote:come now... tells us what you saw???
A marvel of engineering!
GasGuzzler wrote:The Load-Fast is so very awesome a sight to see.
With eight things going on with every single stroke, it is incredible to observe this machine in motion. What is cool is watching the powder and shot delivery operate. Of course, they operate independently of each other, but they don't function without a hull in the shellholder. The presence of a hull does not actuatie the drop like metallic cartridges usingthe Auto Drum, but rather the presence of a shell's base in the shellholder does.

I also went through the procedure to correct a stoppage:
  1. Powder & shot hopper rotated off and lift to remove.
  2. Remove two screws to release the shell plate
  3. If that doesn't work to clear the machine, remove the allen screw that attaches the column to the base. All the shells are released from the shellholder (takes 5 seconds).
The previous owner said the key to operating it through the feel, not unlike the Load-Master. If a stroke is not smooth, something is going on. Just like the Load-Master, you must use complete strokes of the lever must. It is a bit different as you bring the handle down, the tool-head moves up and clear of the hulls that are locked in the shell plate. You place an empty hull on the shell post and then bring the lever back up, and everything starts.

The Primer feeder was removed for shipping, I just bought one on eBay (oh well), but I will start without it as I see how things operate. You must always feed empty hulls and wads.

I've read some scathing posts on this press, one guy supposedly sold all his Lee equipment after operating this press, but through his writing, he seemed like a dunce to me. I've never maintained that everyone can reload. Sorry (not really), not everyone gets a prize, you must earn a merit badge. That's why there is factory ammo.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I would not think that this press is suitable for developing a load or the first run of a shell to see if the crimp works out. It would be best to make sure that the crimp is setup using a completed round of ammunition.

For me, that is where the Load-All Junior comes in.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

That's a good picture RD. Not sure why Lee didn't continue with the Load Fast development and "toughened" it up a bit. Doesn't seem like it would have taken a lot. Most folks who use progressive shot shell loaders just crank out thousands of pretty much one load for competitive type shooting and the Load Fast is a bit light for that IMO. It has some really good features and the ones I had did make a good finished round. (I did have a problem with the ejection "port" on both the 12's I had) I would like to see Lee come back with a Lee CLASSIC Load Fast for a couple hundred bucks. Now that would set some others on their ear I'll bet.
AlaskanGuy

Post by AlaskanGuy »

well rd, your gunna have to do a simple video on its function.. just take a few rounds all the way through the process so we can all have a good look??? it doesnt have to be put out for he whole world... just leave a link here... i been using Gun streamer for my gun related video stuff, and it is optional to have a video listed...
Any technology, not understood, can seem like magic....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

horseman wrote:That's a good picture RD. Not sure why Lee didn't continue with the Load Fast development and "toughened" it up a bit. Doesn't seem like it would have taken a lot. Most folks who use progressive shot shell loaders just crank out thousands of pretty much one load for competitive type shooting and the Load Fast is a bit light for that IMO. It has some really good features and the ones I had did make a good finished round. (I did have a problem with the ejection "port" on both the 12's I had) I would like to see Lee come back with a Lee CLASSIC Load Fast for a couple hundred bucks. Now that would set some others on their ear I'll bet.
Lee's inflation flighting has always amazed me. In 1992, a pistol Load-Master MSRP was $320. Following the US Inflation calculator, that price should now be $584. Instead, the pistol Load-Master MSRP is now $399! So, yes, I think they could deliver a great progressive shotgun reloader and why not a Classic Load-Fast!

I will defer to your knowledge as to what would be needed to improve the press. What would ease clearing a fowled position would be rotating locks on the shell plate where the two screws are located. Push the locks out of the way and then lift the shell plate to clear a hull and keep moving on.

I'm never going to be a skeet or trap shooter this late in the game so it probably will suit my need okay.
AlaskanGuy wrote:well rd, your gunna have to do a simple video on its function.. just take a few rounds all the way through the process so we can all have a good look??? it doesnt have to be put out for he whole world... just leave a link here... i been using Gun streamer for my gun related video stuff, and it is optional to have a video listed...
I will check Gun Streamer out. It will be a bit. I need to get several rifles up and running for hunting season and finish up on my slug stuff.
Michael

Return to “Shotgun”