Cutting/Drilling Template ~ Bench Plate & LAII

The Load-All shot shell loader for the 12, 16, & 20 gauge.
sharky
My Press Choice: Load-All

Cutting/Drilling Template ~ Bench Plate & LAII

Post by sharky »

Hello everyone,
does anyone have a drilling template for the 12ga Lee Load All II?
To some of you might sound stupid but after spending precious time making my reloading bench I do not want to ruin it with unsuccessful drilling holes.
One shot, One kill
Et2ss
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Cutting/Drilling Template ~ Bench Plate & LAII

Post by Et2ss »

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Finally got around to cutting a ¾" plywood plate per the template.

The Load-All II mounted...

Also, cut a plate for the MEC 600 Jr. Slugger.

Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Sharky ,
I have several different shotgun presses and no permanent place for them . My current set up has a 1 1/8" top on it . To facilitate the shotgun presses I set a single corner for all of them and counter sunk just flush for 1/4-28 flat head phillips head screws and used the blind pull in plug type 3 pronged nuts underneath . So when the presses , cannalure tool , and case trimmer , aren't in use the top is smooth and flat . Because the screws fill the holes they don't lost bent or dinged and although they do extend below the top when not holding down their tools it's not far enough so far to be an issue .

RD ,
I should remember this having seen those those plates a number of times before , but do they lock in with a mechanical device or is it just a friction/wedge fit kind of a hold ? The users of the various systems never mention any walk or wiggle and I've been known to be a little heavy handed once or twice when I do forming and the like .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

RBHarter wrote:I should remember this having seen those those plates a number of times before , but do they lock in with a mechanical device or is it just a friction/wedge fit kind of a hold ? The users of the various systems never mention any walk or wiggle and I've been known to be a little heavy handed once or twice when I do forming and the like .
The Bench plate comes with a metal base that fits all the metallic reloading presses. The side has a tab at the aft end on each side along with the lip on the side. All this locks the base to the plate. On top of that, you are supposed to put a supplied pin through the base/plate/bench as a safety measure. The wood block is held on the side by friction along with the safety pin.

I ended working on my column stack with the STI Hammer & sabot. I used Blue Dot, a max load is 40 grains, went with 39.5-grain to solve for 100% compression within the hull for a complete, level, closed star crimp.

With a new load, you are going to have some hulls that don't work out correctly as you adjust the components. They are near impossible to recover; I call them the "frogs" you got to kiss and don't waste any time with them. I split them twice with a razor and recover everything including the primer and toss the hulls.

As a note, in the primer well you can see my ¼" spacer for getting the press to stop with 3" hulls vs. 2¾" hulls. Lee says to work with "feel" for the 3", all that does is produce frogs.

My load calculator spreadsheet has reduced the number of frogs. The idea is to get every to settle in with no remaining cc space. When loading, it is essential not to compress anything, MEC customer service and the slugger taught me that. It is just as important to the Lee press.

Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

RB and others, more about the Bench Plate and how it works with a wooden block.

Michael
Tom Myers

Post by Tom Myers »

It appears that you may have located a supply of those "Hard to find elevator bolts" with the smaller diameter head.

Are they readily available? All that I have been able to find are those with a large head.

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The bolts are those that come with the bench plate kit.

https://leeprecision.com/short-bench-plt-bolt.html
Michael
Tom Myers

Post by Tom Myers »

I had assumed that there were probably 2 different lengths of the elevator bolts.
A short bolt to be used with the metal plates and a long bolt to be used with the 3/4" wood mounting blocks.
Is the short bolt long enough to reach through the wood blocks and on up through the mounting flanges on most presses?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Let me look through my hardware, I save all the Lee nuts, bolts, and screws that are sent with their products. What are you looking for, long or short?
Michael

Return to “Shotgun”