My very first adventure in reloading

The Load-All shot shell loader for the 12, 16, & 20 gauge.
Pb2au
My Press Choice: Turret

My very first adventure in reloading

Post by Pb2au »

Was on lee load all. Santa brought it to me for Christmas when I was 13. At the time we were grouse hunting quite a bit and Santa thought it was a good addition to the effort.
Well time passes and Mr load all hibernated fro a long time until this year. I got him out, dusted him off and ordered the parts I had lost over the years.
Now I'm loading slugs (LEE 1 oz mold), buckshot and normal game loads. What a simple great device.

Some of you might notice one of my attractions to Lee gear is that it is simple and it works. As a mechanic turned ad-hoc engineer, one of the biggest problems I see in manufacturing is over-complicated solutions to non-existent problems. I am a HUGE fan of Occam's Razor.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: My very first adventure in reloading

Post by Ranch Dog »

This sounds exactly like my venture into shotgun loading except I somehow managed to keep track of all the parts. There is very little bird hunting in my part of the brush country, too thick for quail and the dove migrate to the milo fields about 30 miles west of here when it is time to shoot them. No turkeys or waterfowl so really, little use for a shotgun in this country.

There is a Corp of Engineer's lake about an hour East of here that opened up draw permit hunting but required a shotgun so I purchased a slug and a buckshot barrel for my Mossberg 500 and also Lee's slug & buckshot molds. I was interested in the draw hunts as a biologist friend of mine had told me that he thought the bucks on the place would make B&C. I didn't get drawn and the bucks did. After the first year, they stopped the hunts.

I sold the slug mold and never shot either barrel so I really don't know what I'm doing with the Load-All but would like to find a need! Wish I had a use for it. I was actually looking at it yesterday trying to figure out what a base would need to look like so that I could attach it to the Lee Steel Base Plate.

I wish that Lee had been successful in producing a 410 Load-All as I would bought it along with a Rossi RG410! Don't have a need for those either!
Michael
Newtire
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: My very first adventure in reloading

Post by Newtire »

My first venture into reloading came about when I was 16 years old. I had bought the Lee Hand Tool in 12 gauge along with a pound of Red Dot and a can of AL-5 and a bunch of Alcan fiber wads, nitro cards and some primers. We loaded up some shells, using each kind of powder, and took them out to test. A friend had volunteered a single shot Iver Johnson, which we tied to a tree and proceeded to fire off one round each. Amazingly, nothing blew up!

My dad told me to not shoot those things in his Model 12 but when (A few months later), my dad asked me where was I getting all these shotgun shells to go shooting clay pigeons with...I fessed up. So, he says, "Do they work OK?" Next thing I know, Dad & I are down in the basement loading up 2-boxes and then off to Grandmas to shoot clay pigeons. For awhile there, I was the only guy around loading amongst all my friends but pretty soon, about half of them got loaders too.

Lee helped more people get into shooting and reloading than most folks realize.

Return to “Shotgun”