Lee adjustable charge Bar #90792

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
Patriot007
My Press Choice: Progressive

Lee adjustable charge Bar #90792

Post by Patriot007 »

The other day I was working up some new loads for Extreme 200gn RNJ 45 acp bullets.
I'm working on a LM with the pro disk powder measure. I'm using Titegroup powder, Disk # 40, @ 4.7gn on the low end. And disk #43 @ 5.1gn, on the high end.

To make a long story short it was dribbler time. I never changed the disk because I was already having to dribble. I loaded 10 round of each starting 4.7gn through 5.0gn.< 4.8/4.9> I was testing to see which load was the most accurate in my 45 acp. for that particular bullet.

So my question is. Do any of you men have any good experiences with the Adjustable powder charge bar.
<#90792> Some people may call it a micro charge bar.<not the micro disk.> I have read quite a few
reviews about this beast and some good and a lot of bad. All I know is, if this thing works, it could be a big time saver in my book. I know ranch Dog has some info on it and I await his, and every body's else's input on it. I thought about the double disk kit also, but I'm going down on charges not up.
Thanks. +guns +guns +guns
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Re: Lee adjustable charge Bar #90792

Post by Fyodor »

I don't have first hand experience with it, but what I heard was that it works OK, if you don't need to nearly close it for very small loads.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I use it quite a bit and haven't had any problems with it, I have several. It isn't uncommon to find the need to reestablish the VMD of the powder you are using, as with any other delivery system, so that that micrometer portion will respond correctly to the calculated charges. The Adjustable Charge Bar has an oval opening and the powder's response to it might be different to that of the round disk. Probably not dropping such a small load but that's an explanation if the micrometer is not responding as you expected.
Michael
motard
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by motard »

I use in for my pistol loading. 9mm Imi 4.2 - 4,4 grains in most hranular powder. I find it deadly accurate and reliable, but would not use with rifle's powder such as Vihtavuory because it is in sticks, and I believe will stuck. Sort of a word play. Have read somewere a simple mod with bound glue to reduce the oval and allow very low charges.
Patriot007

Post by Patriot007 »

Ranch Dog wrote:I use it quite a bit and haven't had any problems with it, I have several. It isn't uncommon to find the need to reestablish the VMD of the powder you are using, as with any other delivery system, so that that micrometer portion will respond correctly to the calculated charges. The Adjustable Charge Bar has an oval opening and the powder's response to it might be different to that of the round disk. Probably not dropping such a small load but that's an explanation if the micrometer is not responding as you expected.
Hey Ranch Dog.
Sorry for getting back a little latter than I expected. I'm not on vacation any more, so work must prevail.
Since I left that question for everybody, I'd ordered one of them and it came in the other day. I find it to be pretty dog gone accurate for the 4.8gn Titegroup powder. I'd read quite a few bad post on it for small loads, but I find it to be a big time saver. I've since ordered my father-in-law one also. He really took a liken to mine, over here at my house. I found the instruction on converting cc to gn pretty easy. And as you said before, finding the accurate VMD is also the best thing to do because they will change from time to time. I plan on ordering a few more of them just to have on hand. Their pretty plentiful on EBay at $10.00 a pop and free shipping. They beat the double charge disk by a long shot for small charges in my book.
Thank you, and every body else for their input
:D .
Patriot007

Post by Patriot007 »

motard wrote:I use in for my pistol loading. 9mm Imi 4.2 - 4,4 grains in most hranular powder. I find it deadly accurate and reliable, but would not use with rifle's powder such as Vihtavuory because it is in sticks, and I believe will stuck. Sort of a word play. Have read somewere a simple mod with bound glue to reduce the oval and allow very low charges.
Yes, have seen the mods for it online. I have one now, it just come in the other day. And for Titegroup at 4.8 gn, it's doing a great job, for me. I want use it for any thing else but that load. If I go any lower than 4.6 with Titegroup, I will have to change the springs in my 45 acp, and that's my carry gun. I do not want to change them, because I shoot defense rounds in it also. The 4.8gn round is for punching holes in paper at 50 ft. at the range. I find that the 200gn Extreme RNJ bullet with Titegroup powder very accurate in my 45. Thanks for the input and have a safe one.
+guns +guns +guns
Patriot007

Post by Patriot007 »

Fyodor wrote:I don't have first hand experience with it, but what I heard was that it works OK, if you don't need to nearly close it for very small loads.
Mine came in the other day and it's working great at 4.8gn of Titegroup. I haven't try it with anything smaller than that load. I order my father-in-law one and it should be in Tuesday. He likes to shoot his 1911 with smaller loads. He has his gun modified to shoot low range loads, by changing out his springs. When his comes in, we are going to test it and see just how low will it go, with out modifying the charge Bar.
Thanks for the input and I'll let you know how the test goes.
:D :D :D
motard
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by motard »

Patriot007: I load my 9mm Imi with 4,2 gr of Chedite Granular S fine, it is a powder fron Nobel, medium grains. Charges are deadly accurate (I check and receck with a scale) no variation. So I am confident you can go lower with no hassle. I am not shure but it seems me to remember that people had issues way lower: 2 to 3 grains or so
hope it helpes
Patriot007

Post by Patriot007 »

motard wrote:Patriot007: I load my 9mm Imi with 4,2 gr of Chedite Granular S fine, it is a powder fron Nobel, medium grains. Charges are deadly accurate (I check and receck with a scale) no variation. So I am confident you can go lower with no hassle. I am not shure but it seems me to remember that people had issues way lower: 2 to 3 grains or so
hope it helpes
That's good news to my ears. I'm changing my carry gun over to a 9mm, just as soon as my local gun store gets in the new line of Springfield XDs Mod2s. Real small, and holds 13 rounds of 9mm. From the reviews I've seen by Hitchcock45 on YouTube they are pretty accurate and reliable. I wouldn't take any thing for my XD45 it shoots better than Glock in my opinion, an just as reliable. Also, I'm not a Glock hater, the XD just fills better in my hand, and just as accurate. Have a safe on, and thanks for the info.

:D :D :D .
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Well darn I wanted it for very small charges too. Hoping that micro disk I ordered from Titan works out if not then the dippers will have to do. I need 2.2 grains of TiteGroup for the .380.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”