New Pistol Decapping Pin

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: New Pistol Decapping Pin

Post by RBHarter »

Nope what happens is you get a case that is a little bit out of square and a flash hole a little off center and hit 3 or 4 just so . Next thing you know you've a bent or broken pin. It actually happens quit often . I have a couple of sets that have been an endless chain of broken pins . The 06' comes to mind especially the sizer that I only size about 3/4 of the neck with.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Skinnedknuckles
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Skinnedknuckles »

I haven't been reloading as long, but I have over 7000 rounds on my 9mm pin and 5000 on my .38 pin without a problem. And then I bent the new .45 pin in less than 200 rounds. And yes, I know they are all the same part number, they just came with the caliber die sets, but the new pin is obviously different from my older pins.

I'm an engineer, not a metallurgist, but I'm pretty sure that the steel in the pin is so soft if must not have enough carbon in it to do any appreciable hardening (check out http://www.technologystudent.com/equip1/heat1.htm).

It would be nice if the three new pins I have on order happen to be the old design, but I'm sure I won't be that lucky. If I never have an off center or plugged primer hole, the new pin will probably last for years - or not. I think I could get a piece of drill rod of the right diameter to fit the collet and "turn" down the end using a drill press and file to the right decapping diameter and it would be a lot tougher and harder than the new Lee pin.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

So I understand this right..... All of the decapping/expanding mandrills and pins are now one piece. And all are soft?
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Yes.

And Lee advertised that as an advantage, because you could straighten them and keep on loading, until replacement arrives.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
scotland
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by scotland »

Interesting change in the decapping pin. I haven't broken one (hitting my head and crossing my fingers). I did however push the pin up and did't realize it till after cleaning a ton of brass. Had to sort back through and decap those. Worst thing is I stripped out the holding nut and had to order another one. But it was cheap and I ended up buying more stuff (ssshhh... don't tell the wife).
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

scotland wrote:I did however push the pin up and did't realize it
That happened to me, too. Very anoying to sort through that brass again.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I actually like to tighten the mandrill in mine tight enough that they will break instead of slide in the holder. I don't like to get done sizing and decapping just to find I didn't get the primers out. So far when something has gone wrong and I broke a pin I could feel it...... correct the problem, put in a new mandrill and continue. I am sorry to hear they have changed the the mandrill/pins.
weaselfire
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by weaselfire »

I've always kept a couple spare drecapping pins on hand. Military brass causes issues occasionally.

Jeff
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

simple for me .... I use a Lee Universal decapping die for everything, before it goes into the ultrasonic bath

makes life much smoother, and cleaner.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
weaselfire

Post by weaselfire »

mr surveyor wrote:simple for me .... I use a Lee Universal decapping die for everything...
Same here, but doesn't change the fact that sometimes pins get bent or broken. I tend to adjust them a little loose so a hard primer will push the pin and not bend it, but I still occasionally miss a berdan-primed case or have really obnoxious military brass.

Jeff

Return to “Handgun”