New Pistol Decapping Pin

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
Skinnedknuckles
My Press Choice: Turret

New Pistol Decapping Pin

Post by Skinnedknuckles »

I recently bought the 4 die carbide die set for .45 acp. Loading this weekend, one of the cases failed to have the primer pop out. I removed the sizing die and the decapping was bent over more than 90°. This surprised me, based on what I thought I knew of the Lee decapping pin - that it was a hardened pin set in the normal steel shank. This pin was obviously turned down from the full shank diameter, and was so soft I was able to straighten it out without breaking, so I was able to continue to use it.

I ordered three replacement pins today, along with some other stuff, from Lee. The lady at Lee confirmed they had changed the design. She also told me that if I had a broken or bent pin I could take a picture and email it to them at the address on the web site and they would replace it at no charge. When it happens again (I "straightened" it but it's no longer perfectly straight, so something will cause it to bend again) I'll do that as I re-straighten or replace it to keep on loading. I also loosened the collet so it would slide up easier instead of bending, but I given the softness of the steel pin, I don't think that will really prevent it from bending.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: New Pistol Decapping Pin

Post by RBHarter »

That's good to hear. I've a 308 that is broken.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

when did they stop hardening the pins?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

When I get that type I will harden them before putting them to use.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Steve wrote:When I get that type I will harden them before putting them to use.

Maybe you could give a little demo, I know it takes two steps, the first hotter than the other but there ends my know how.
Je suis Charlie
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

They praised that as a feature: You could straighten the pins without needing a replacement.

I wouldn't try hardening the pin. Drill a home and put in the shaft of a drill bit. These are already hardened, and without knowing the steel hardening will have unknown results, from glass brittle to soft as aluminum.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I have made Several decaping pins for custom neck dia . They are readily turned w a file and drill press. I did drill for a set screw and a removable pin I will save the needle bearings the next time I change u joints. In the meantime RCBS straight pins are working.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Steve

Post by Steve »

RBHarter wrote:I have made Several decaping pins for custom neck dia . They are readily turned w a file and drill press. I did drill for a set screw and a removable pin I will save the needle bearings the next time I change u joints. In the meantime RCBS straight pins are working.
I think I'll go with RBHarrter's idea. fyodor is correct about the hardening, my method is like taking a shot in the dark as far as the hardnes is concerned.

When I harden something I just do what my Dad showed me when I was a kid. Heat the item to be hardened until it is just starting to give off sparks, then quench it in oil. Wish I would have listened and remembered everything he told me. Yeah, I'll admit it, He was wright I was wrong.
mikld

Post by mikld »

I guess I'm missing something here (or I'm doin' sumpin' right). My first set of Lee dies was purchased in '86, and I have amassed mebbe 8 more sets of Lee dies (some Redding and Pacific dies too) and none have broken, bent or failed in any way. I have reloaded untold numbers of .44 Magnum, .38/357, .223/5.56, 45 ACP, 9mm, 30-06, 30-30, 7.62x54R, and 303 British. Of course, I know what I'm trying to reload before I run the case through any die (Boxer only!)...
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Reloading mil spec brass not swaged has alway gotten me into trouble. Lol
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!

Return to “Handgun”