Options for measuring pressure

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
massmanute
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Options for measuring pressure

Post by massmanute »

What options are there for measuring chamber pressure?

Are there any that are relatively economical?

We have inexpensive ways of measuring bullet velocities now. It would be nice if the same could be said about measuring chamber pressure without spending the better part of a thousand dollars (or more).
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Options for measuring pressure

Post by Ranch Dog »

massmanute wrote:What options are there for measuring chamber pressure?
There really is only one option available for the typical shooter and that is RSI's Pressure Trace II. It is $500. I had the original Pressure Trace (I), it just finally gave up the ghost after some very hard use. I don't foresee a bunch of shooting like I did at the start of my mold business but as I thought about doing without one, I didn't like it as it offers so much more than just pressure data.

The next available system is through Oehler Research, their Model 83. This is a complete shooting ballistic system that can incorporate an advanced chronograph and acoustic target. The chronograph is capable of recording machine gun velocities captures the data from a 30-round burst, at a rate of 2,000 shots per minute. The acoustic target allows lab shooting at close range. It has sensors that captures the bullets position by sound and plots the groups in very fine detail. I looked into this a decade ago and it was $2800. You have to contact them now so I have no idea what it would cost.

My only comment about using one is that you almost need a non-public range to use one. The bench setup can be spread out and the other shooters are going to drive you nuts.

I have also found that the strain gages have a life, don't know what it is but the will sooner or later need to be replaced. What I do is plan all my shooting that I want to do with a rifle, mount the gauge and shoot it up. Gages are relatively inexpensive in the greater scheme of things.
Michael
Centaur 1
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Centaur 1 »

Michael, After all the pressure testing you've done, how well did the data line up against the pressures that were predicted by using Quickload?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Centaur 1 wrote:Michael, After all the pressure testing you've done, how well did the data line up against the pressures that were predicted by using Quickload?
EXTREMELY close. That is where I would start, with QuickLoad, but you need to take the time to learn how to really use it. The better the data, everything enter lot and firearm specific, the closer the results.
Michael

Return to “Rifle Reloading”