Bedding Model 53 Action

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Bedding Model 53 Action

Post by Steve »

After all these years with my M1 Garand and my Mod 53 bolt action I just discovered cases fired in the Garand will chamber in the bolt action. Bolt is just shy of being snug to close.

So for the bolt gun I am going to start just neck sizing the cases fired in the M1 for it. Should be a little more accurate case than FL sized for the bolt gun. Plus it will result in less workin of some of my brass.

Happy days.
Steve

Post by Steve »

My bedding on the action on this old rifle came out close to perfect. Much more solid than the day I brought it home from Sears 43 years ago. Turned out not too difficult to do, partly cuz of the experience I have with a dremmel tool for building RC airplanes. The amount of resin I guessed at putting in it came out dang near on the nose.

I am going to put pillars in too. But for now I'm gonna shoot it, can’t hardly wait to see if it's accuracy has returned. I have a load with 150 gr Nosler ballistic tips this rifle really likes, and they just demolish coyotes.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Cool Steve, looking forward to the range report. :)
Je suis Charlie
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Def. Get us pics as well if possible we love seeing how and what was done. Keep us posted.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Steve

Post by Steve »

akuser47 wrote:Def. Get us pics as well if possible we love seeing how and what was done. Keep us posted.
I was going to take pics as I went, but a friend stopped in and I got to talking and working, and forgot the pics. Pretty much just followed the instructions with the kit + their internet sight. The kit I used is this shortcut. I have to give it 5 stars. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/790049 ... uctFinding

If I add the pillar mounts I will make sure I take pics. I have been thinking I might add some bedding under the chamber area, don't know yet, have to see how it performs now.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

It will benefit to be bedded through out all contacts in the stock from your reciever. She will shoot tighter and hold zero much better. Pillars really lock the gun down. Should also gain you more in repeatable accuracy. Def. Keep us posted when and if able.
Steve

Post by Steve »

akuser47 wrote:It will benefit to be bedded through out all contacts in the stock from your reciever. She will shoot tighter and hold zero much better. Pillars really lock the gun down. Should also gain you more in repeatable accuracy. Def. Keep us posted when and if able.
I know what you are saying. Right now I can pass a business card from the muzzel to the recoil lug without touching. Untill recently when I found the barrel near touching it always shot 1 moa or less. (When it heated up it did touch). I really expect it to be back to the 1 moa as it sets now, but I think the pillars will insure it stays zeroed with season changes.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Pillars lock it in the bedding give it just that the proper bed to sit in. You are into the path of dialing her in test and change as only needed. I have set savages into their stock by just acraglassing them and gained just a hair over .63" an inch but in long range that is a massive gain. All is by what you need from the rifle.
If 1 moa is your goal at 100 yards i think it can be tightened down to .75" or less if properly done. Keep us posted
Steve

Post by Steve »

Got to fire around 50 rounds through the model 53 this morning. The inexpensive loads I was hoping for it to shoot well didn't pan out, best was a little under 2 inshes at 100 yards.

One of the inexpensive loads my Garand shoots always under 2 inches also does the same in the Sears 53. It will be a fun load for plinking at clay bird pieces.

Took some of my Nosler balistic tips along, sighted in with them after I tried all the others. Had a few 3 shot groups under 1 inch. So I am happy with the bedding, I just want a cheap round that will consistantly do that. (Who Don't.)

The Pachmayr recoil pad on it was the best they had about 35 years ago when I had it put on. It still is flexable and works great, I don't have a hint of a bruise on my shoulder. Before the pad my shoulder was so sore I couldn't fire over 20 rounds. Now I can shoot that baby all I want! :D

To steal a phrase fro Roy Baumgardner....... "The search for accuracy never stops."
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Thanks for the update good to hear your work is paying off. We all are always searching for our ideal acceptable accuracy from guns. Most can achieve this some cannot. I still thing pillars wilk help you draw in at least a .25" or more depending on your loads. Please keep us posted.

Return to “Topic Bucket”