Pro auto disc question install ? from new guy.

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
jayp1978
My Press Choice: Turret

Pro auto disc question install ? from new guy.

Post by jayp1978 »

Hello all. First I would like to say a BIG THANKS to those responsible for creating this forum. Without it and knowledge gained from others here it would have been a lot longer before I dared to get my feet wet in this hobby. I am as green as it gets and yet to run my first few trial rounds. I have just gotten all my setup in and after reading instructions 3 times and watching videos on each piece of gear I think I just about got things figured out(for now that is). One thing I've noticed and has made me take pause is the way the AD pro mounts to the press. I am using the powder thru die and have the recommended extension to get it over safety prime but when I tighten it down to extension as hard as I can there is noticeable forward and backwards movement of the ADP where it meets extension. I see in the instructions it states to be sure the o ring is installed and there is one o ring where extension meets thru die but no ring came with the ADP.. So is it normal for that slight movement at that joint or is something wrong? Should there be another ring where ADP meets extension? Look forward to hearing the responses from you. Thanks in advance. Jason
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Pro auto disc question install ? from new guy.

Post by Ranch Dog »

Greetings Jason and welcome to the forum. I have not used the riser but looking at the instructions it calls for two o-rings.
Auto Disk Riser.jpg
The image on the right side of the instructions looks like the riser is inserted in a Lee Powder Through Expander die. There would be an o-ring here.

At least that is my take on it. If you don't have the o-ring call Lee and they will send you one. I would actually buy at least 5 of them and start a parts bin for your reloading bench. Sooner or later, you will need another. Be sure you bag and label them as there are a couple of other o-rings used with the Lee stuff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

I tried to find that instruction sheet for this topic I missed it. Thanks rd
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

jayp1978 wrote:Hello all. First I would like to say a BIG THANKS to those responsible for creating this forum
You're welcome Jason!
Michael
jayp1978

Post by jayp1978 »

I again thank all of you teachers out there. Who said you quit learning after school? After close inspection there is a ring on the pro disc also. Just the little movement made me nervous. Range dog ur the best. Sincerely Jason
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

jayp1978 wrote:Just the little movement made me nervous.
Some say that when they completely eliminate movement, the Auto-Disk repeatability suffers. Some say that they call that wiggle a "calibrated" wiggle to insure the disk cavity is completely and consistently filled ;)
Michael
jayp1978

Post by jayp1978 »

I guess the lesson isn't over yet toady...lol...I would have never thought of that but it makes a bunch of sense. I'm just overly cautious and didn't want the powder I had to hunt down 40 miles from the house to spill one single bit. Thanks again for the help. Look forward to being a frequent visitor to this forum. Jason
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I figger that the day you quit learnin is the day you need to just crawl in the hole and pull the dirt in with you.

I'm now a 61 year old life long rookie at everything I do :D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Ranch Dog wrote:
jayp1978 wrote:Just the little movement made me nervous.
Some say that when they completely eliminate movement, the Auto-Disk repeatability suffers. Some say that they call that wiggle a "calibrated" wiggle to insure the disk cavity is completely and consistently filled ;)
Seem to remember Lee saying something like that too, just can't remember where they said it.
Je suis Charlie
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

Welcome to the forum Jason.
I have been asking questions and now it's time I help.
To get the disk to perform properly, be sure to adjust the die so get the least amount of bell in the cartridge opening. This allows the cartridge to go up into the die as far as possible and slides the disk hole directly over the powder dump tube for the maximum powder drop.
Good luck
Poppop
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”