Pro Auto-Disk Inaccuracy?

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
cobaltLoader
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Pro Auto-Disk Inaccuracy?

Post by cobaltLoader »

Rooster59 wrote:You're not alone cobalt. In addition to coming up short on most or all of the recommended disks with the few powders I use, it takes about 5 throws after changing disks to get the charge weights to "level out" and remain consistent.

One thing I didn't see recommended in the previous replies is hopper volume. I find, even if I don't need it, I try to start with the hopper almost full and don't let it get below half full. It seems to me pressure from the hopper supply maintains its consistency with a hopper more full.

A friend who has reloaded probably millions of rounds from another forum has multiple pro auto disk measures. He has assured me the recommended disk almost never drops the claimed amount of powder. He and I get different weights from the same disk and powder so specific gravity and method probably plays a part in the differences. The measures are very consistent with most powders that it is recommended for, just know the hole size to charge weight chart is a starting point.

Reloading is an exact science only when your methods, your tools, your powder lots, etc. are massaged into your system.

Congratulations on a successful loading session and range trip.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff, I appreciate the input. I will try my next loads with the hopper full. Do you have any recommendations for powder that seems to be most accurate in the Auto-Disk for 45 ACP?
Rooster59

Post by Rooster59 »

Afraid I don't have any recommendations. I sold my only 45ACP before I started reloading about 8 years ago. I haven't even started reloading for 9mm yet as I had such a stockpile of target 9mm ammo from back then. (When it was $4.95/50 rounds!!) But the stock is down now and this crummy winter has me ready to try my hand at my first rimless, taper crimp autoloader handloads.

So far, and I hope it stays that way, I reload for 38, 357, and 45LC handguns with the Pro Auto. Most of that is TrailBoss for the 38spl for my wife to practice with her snubby S&W, 2400 for the 357, and Unique for the 45LC. I haven't tried to setup the PAD for Unique in 30-30 and 45-70 although it should still handle those 7gr to 12gr loads well. Unfortunately I don't know of a way to mate the PAD to the 30-30 turret. I am not aware of a powder thru expander or rifle charging die for it.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Unique is my personal favorite for 45ACP but it's not the best in the Auto Disk. Powders like Universal, HS6 and Bullseye are very consistent in the Auto disk.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

I've only used Bullseye in the autodisk for the 45 acp and get with in .1 grain of what I want. Usually .1 less than what it's set for.
Je suis Charlie
wscywabbit
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wscywabbit »

Good info guys, thanks! Its little tips like this that help us newbies figure out the basics without getting too frustrated with ourselves ;)
In God and guns we trust; it's an American tradition!
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I hate flake powders. HATE THEM. I don't know what they do for us that flattened ball or ball powders don't do. I've moved to only using flattened ball or ball powders for most everything I reload unless I want a very specific load for something. Some of the newer flake powders like Power Pistol seem to measure out better but still not like they should but still better than Unique. Actually for most handgun loads I am now a huge fan of Accurate and Ramshot powders. Now if only I could find them in stock on a regular again...
agilebulletdodger

Post by agilebulletdodger »

I'm fairly new to reloading as well, took a certified NRA class last December and reloaded a large number of .45 Auto and .38 Spec rounds shortly afterward without too much trouble. Feeling confident, I bought several Lee dies for .32 Auto, 380 Auto, 9mm and 357 Mag. and when I started reloading 380 Auto, I couldn't get a consistent charge for anything. I considered it might be the powder so I bought another powder that appeared acceptable by Lee and Lymann specs. Regardless, between the Alliant Unique and Hodgdon 700x, I haven't been able to get consistent loads for some time. Since both are a flake powder, I've been looking for a ball type powder for several months but no luck and even have my name on several waiting lists ( :evil: ).

That said, I've kept searching on line in forums etc, and several people bring this same topic up from time to time but the advice is all the same: "its not humidity related" (I live in north central Texas), "Its not heat related" and "its not age related" but many people seem to have success with these two powders. For the life of me, I can't seem to understand the issue and many people seem satisfied with the two powders I have so I can't figure it out.

I could really use some guidance here, I even bought another Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure and even have 2 Lee Adjustable Charge Bars thinking perhaps there was an issue with the first one. Same results each time.

As an example, I'll attempt a charge for .45 ACP at 4.2 gn, the results I'll get will range from .5 gn to 5.1 gn. For my 380 ACP, I'll attempt a charge at 3.0 gn and would see anything from .7 gn to 3.5 gn and even higher (complete overfill of the casing). I even bought a high-end scale to make sure I'm properly weighing them.

All of my powder is less than 5 months old and I have the same issue with either Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure and even using the standard measuring disks that come with it, I can't seem to get consistent charges regardless.

Whats odd is that initially I was able to load about 1000 rds of .45 ACP and about 500 rds of .38 Spec right out of the gate so I know I've set everything up correctly correctly but as an example today, after about 2 hours, I was only able to get about 5 satisfactory rounds of .45 ACP cranked out. FYI, my reloading bench is in my garage.

Can someone please give me some guidance? I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thank you!
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

agilebulletdodger wrote:I'm fairly new to reloading as well, took a certified NRA class last December and reloaded a large number of .45 Auto and .38 Spec rounds shortly afterward without too much trouble. Feeling confident, I bought several Lee dies for .32 Auto, 380 Auto, 9mm and 357 Mag. and when I started reloading 380 Auto, I couldn't get a consistent charge for anything. I considered it might be the powder so I bought another powder that appeared acceptable by Lee and Lymann specs. Regardless, between the Alliant Unique and Hodgdon 700x, I haven't been able to get consistent loads for some time. Since both are a flake powder, I've been looking for a ball type powder for several months but no luck and even have my name on several waiting lists ( :evil: ).

Can someone please give me some guidance? I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thank you!
I had a cutomized Lee Micro Disk that worked with flake powder, used it loading 380 acp for a long time. It seemed like a larger diameter shallow opening worked best for the flake powder.The length below might help.

http://www.lee-loader.com/viewtopic.php ... disk#p4170
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

With any flake powder the lighter the load you are aiming for the less likely it is that it will be what you want. You want to hold out for a ball powder like from Ramshot or Accurate or a flattened ball powder like from Winchester or Hodgdon. Make sure and read the label as to what they are though because Accurate does have a couple that are flake and Win/Hodgdon (same company) I'm not sure if all their pistol powders you would want are flattened ball or not. Without looking up data I'm guessing Accurate #2 would be best from them and then Win 231, HP-38, and Titegroup are a few to look out for in stock. Bullseye is a smaller flake that is easier to measure out and Power Pistol isn't much bigger but I've never tried for smaller drops with that one. Not to rub it in but Unique and 700X may be two of the hardest to measure powders.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

I use Unique for rifle loads and never run it through the Pro Auto Disk. I will Bullseye and TiteGroup.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”