Bulge Buster for 45 ACP

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Bulge Buster for 45 ACP

Post by Ranch Dog »

Joisey wrote:I rigged an air cylinder and foot control to my Lee C style reloading press. I just use this press for depriming and using my bulge buster dies.

The addition of the air cylinder makes things go a lot faster, but one must be a bit careful with their fingers lest they like bruised or cut fingers. I was quite surprised on how much range pickup brass is a bit "off" as far as being cylindrical. Surprisingly, the 380 acp is worse than the 45 acp. I guess due to the design of the pistol the cartridges were fired in.

I forgot to mention that I spray lube the cases before pushing them thru the bulge buster with a lanolin/alcohol spray. Makes it easier on everything. Oh, and I inverted the Lee C press so that I can place the brass in the die and then let the air cylinder push it thru. From there it drops down a plastic tube into a two gallon dollar store plastic pail. A LOT easier than pushing the brass uphill into the Lee storage container.
Do you have a picture of your inverted C press?
Michael
Joisey

Post by Joisey »

No, I don't. As soon as I get it back from making the rounds of my reloading 'friends' I'll post some.

It's not a difficult build. I used a 2 inch air cylinder to drive the ram. Cut and threaded the ram from a donor Lee C press to fit the ram, removed the arm and linkage and made an aluminum plate to bolt to the bottom of the press that the threaded nose on the air cylinder screws in to.

The three bolt holes that would mount the press screw into tapped holes in the aluminum plate, which allows some lateral adjustment to align the air cylinder with the bore of the press that the ram slides thru.

The aluminum plate is tapped for two holes to allow you to mount it upside down on the bench. Being a retired machinist gives you all kinds of ideas when you can't sleep. :t It also keeps you fairly well broke.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Joisey wrote:No, I don't. As soon as I get it back from making the rounds of my reloading 'friends' I'll post some.

It's not a difficult build. I used a 2 inch air cylinder to drive the ram. Cut and threaded the ram from a donor Lee C press to fit the ram, removed the arm and linkage and made an aluminum plate to bolt to the bottom of the press that the threaded nose on the air cylinder screws in to.

The three bolt holes that would mount the press screw into tapped holes in the aluminum plate, which allows some lateral adjustment to align the air cylinder with the bore of the press that the ram slides thru.

The aluminum plate is tapped for two holes to allow you to mount it upside down on the bench. Being a retired machinist gives you all kinds of ideas when you can't sleep. :t It also keeps you fairly well broke.
At one time I had been thinking of doing the same for sizing bullets with the Lee sizers.
Michael
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

Just wondering, did anyone measure the offending rounds? Did anyone try the plunk test? I 22 years of reloading 45 ACP for two pistols, I have never had the plunk test fail, nor needed any "debulging"...
Joisey

Post by Joisey »

mikld wrote:Just wondering, did anyone measure the offending rounds? Did anyone try the plunk test? I 22 years of reloading 45 ACP for two pistols, I have never had the plunk test fail, nor needed any "debulging"...
I randomly plunk test empty range pickup after cleaning/sizing. About 10% fall almost all the way in, but some need a bit of a very gentle nudge with a finger. The bulge buster removes that 10%. Honestly, most cases never touch the bulge buster,except for the 380 brass. There, about 25% are what seems to be out of round. Most likely from those $99 semi auto pistols people buy.
Joisey

Post by Joisey »

Ranch Dog wrote: At one time I had been thinking of doing the same for sizing bullets with the Lee sizers.
As long as you could get the bullet to reliably enter the sizing die evenly, it would work. I think it would be better to leave the press upright and push the bullet thru with the air cylinder.

Return to “Handgun”