Now I'm an Auto Drum Guy

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Now I'm an Auto Drum Guy

Post by Ranch Dog »

Same here! My trust in it is very low and any reloading I do with it will be done by weighing the charge after every drop. Honestly, my only interest in this dispenser is for cases that have a capacity that exceeds the Auto Disk Double Disk. With all the testing I've done, much more than I've reported here, the Auto Drum cannot drop tighter than the simple Auto Disk setup. My intended use for the Auto Drum is only for the:
  • 300 Savage
  • 308 Win
  • 303 British
  • 444 Marlin
  • 45-70 Govt
I would try the Auto Drum on the Load-Master but really there is no reason. My pistol loads have been long set with the Auto Disk and I'm of the school not to fix what isn't broken. I hope to get the 7.62x39 up and running this winter on this press but will charge it with the Double Disk.

What happens with the PPM with these large cases is that that .1 to .2 grain variation stays consistent as the charges get larger so the statistics of ES & SD get smaller. That is not happening with any testing I've done so far with the Auto Drum the ES & SD remain the same which means the grain variation is growing considerably.

Reloaders say that you have to live with the fixed cavities of the Auto Disk but that is not true, as you simply use the Adjustable Charge Bar. It can even be used as the top disk when doubled. You simply use the closest selection below the desired charge from the Double Disk chart and set the ACB to what is needed for your complete charge.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Here is the problem as I see it, we are trying to measure weight with volume. I weigh every rifle charge but then I don't shoot that much rifle. I use the auto disk for my hand guns and that is very accurate as is the adjustable charge bar once I modified it for small charges.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

62chevy wrote:Here is the problem as I see it, we are trying to measure weight with volume.
Not quite true given the math behind weight = volume and vice versa in that the physical characteristics of the powder is a known.

In that it was cold and windy I worked quite a bit with the Auto Drum yesterday and it reaching a point of satisfaction for my use with what is now a simple understanding; don't start using it to drop charges until you have moved at least 8.4 cc worth of powder through it. That is the capacity of the housing as discussed earlier in this topic and I see it as a must.

I've never taken the first drop from the Perfect Powder Measure, it is never on target and while studying the various stats I've recorded over the last couple of days, I started seeing a pattern that suggested that this rule of thumb would increase the accuracy of the drops and it simply relates to the storage capacity of the housing be filled and flowing with powder supplied from the hopper. The last stats I posted, I've recorded many more through the day, really bear this out because I started recording after only one throw.

Personally, I would recommend 10 cc dropping through before charges are unmonitored. Statistically after that point there is no variation. I continued on with the drops and they never varied more than +/- ½ a grain. I was weighing them both on my Safety Scale that had been calibrated for the load (needed no adjustment, never has but I check it regularly), and my digital scale. Here you see how I have my Safety Scale setup to measure half a grain. These marks were established with a check weight set and make it easy to visualize any deviation with this type of scale.

Right at the end of the day, the wind dropped so I went out and shot a sort string and decided the load/pressure was too high. I came back in and wanted to adjusted the load down to 40.0-grains which is equal to 2.91 cc. In that I had been working with 3.02 cc, I turned the metering rod in one complete turn and one facet. I dropped a charge of Varget and it was at 40.0-grains exactly. I decided to load five cartridge and each of the four remaining charges dropped at 40.0-grains as verified on the two types of scales without any variation.

So here is where I will start everytime with the Auto Drum and I'll see how it goes:
  • Secure the Drum Screw tight and then loosen the screw ¼ to ½ half a turn.
  • Use a powder baffle in the hopper to keep the flow from the hopper as consistent as possible.
  • Drop, by actuation, 10 cc of the powder before use.
  • Be diligently consistent in how you cycle the ram of the press.
Now I need three more four more large drums but I don't want to buy two of the additional sets to get them as I have no plans to use the small drums. Lee never answered my email so I guess I will call them. They really need to offer need to offer a set of four large drums.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

By moving 10cc then you are eliminating air pockets and bridging that may happen.

Has anyone tried the AD with Unique? TiteGroup? W231?
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

62chevy wrote:By moving 10cc then you are eliminating air pockets and bridging that may happen.

Has anyone tried the AD with Unique? TiteGroup? W231?
Yeah, that is the idea of the 10 cc. I haven't tried the Drum with pistol powders/charges but if I did I would still move the 10 cc before using it.

I did quite a bit more loading with the Auto Disk today and I'm very confident with the setup I've suggested. This includes two starts with an empty hopper, dumping the 10 cc and starting the runs of ammo. I have weighed every charge after the each drop but have stopped recording the data as it is very accurate. I've had many 5 round strings today where there is no deviation.

Twice today I have adjusted the load using the change in cc as I noted in my last post and the change has hit on the mark using cc to drop the desired grain charge. The trick is keeping track of where you where or you would need to bottom the drum out as I described and start from there. Writing the last cc on the drum "flat" is the best way. For my operation it won't be needed but more large drums will be needed.

I need four more large drums which means that I will need to buy 2 of the Lee packaged sets. Through Titan and with shipping that means that each additional large drum is $10. I don't know why that is bugging me now as I will drop $100 on reloading stuff without thinking about it but having to buy the small drums in the set bugs me. In that the large drums can be changed to small drums, the additional set should be all large drums. That's the logic that is making me a bit critical of this expense.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

Good information RD. I'll go back to the Auto Drum armed with this new "method" and give it another shot. I'd be very happy if it works out. I really WANT this measure to work as IMO it opens up some very good options over the disk measures and the PPM for progressive rifle (223) loading. Or any reloading for that matter.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

I like the idea of the easy to change drum where the disk are a bit of a pain to change. Then add to change the charge weight just turn a knob instead of dismantle the PM is a real time saver. Twisting the knob on the adjustable charge bar was so easy but it was limited in its volume with a top end of about 10 grains.
Je suis Charlie
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

62chevy wrote:....... Has anyone tried the AD with Unique? TiteGroup? W231?
These are the initial results I got with the Auto Drum and Unique right after I got it and the initial cleaning and prepping.

Unique set for 4.0gr:
1- 4.1gr
2- 4.1gr
3- 4.0gr
4- 4.0gr
5-4.0gr
6-3.9gr
7- 4.1gr
8-4.1gr
9- 4.1gr
10- 4.0gr

Unique set for 10gr:
1- 10.1gr
2- 10.0gr
3- 10.1gr
4- 10.1gr
5- 10.0gr
6- 9.9gr
7- 9.9gr
8- 9.9gr
9- 10.0gr
10- 10.1gr

Those are the kind of results I still get to this day.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The consistent results you are seeing with pistol powders & charges from the Auto Drum might be that the powder bridging within the housing is minimized or eliminated from the start with the small charges.. The upper end of the small drum is going to have issues or at least I experienced them in the 2.00cc range. What I know now is that five dumps would have cured it.

I continued to reduce the load I was using with the 300 Savage to the point I could use the Auto Double Disk. Going to finish it up this morning, fine tune the velocity with an adjustment on the Adjustable Charge Bar as the upper disk in the stack.
62chevy wrote:Twisting the knob on the adjustable charge bar was so easy but it was limited in its volume with a top end of about 10 grains.
The Adjustable Charge Bar instructions state "Course flake powder like Red Dot and Green Dot can give erratic charges when the charge bar is set smaller than 4cc." They include "The charge bar is not adjustable to the full range of the graduations; i.e. it cannot be set at .2cc." Hmmm, all three of my four Adjustable Charge Bars have a full range of motion between the .2 and 1.6cc stops. I do agree with the second statement as from .2 to .4cc the shape of the opening is a bit goofy and conflicts with flakes.

The only flake powder I use in handguns is Unique so the range from my can of powder would be 3.2 to 12.6 grains using the ACB. Using it as a top disk in the double stack with a Varget, the powder I'm working with, it can drop 5.5 to 22 grains.

Eventually, I will get all my pistols on Universal but I do have quantities of Clays (never found a use for it), HP38, HS6, International, TiteGroup, and Unique. The 25 Auto uses the International which I think is the most suitable of any. Scary to use, .1 of a grain goes a very long way but nothing can match the case fill and velocity it offers. This is the only use I might find for the Auto Drum with my pistols, dropping charges of International for the 25 Auto. It would need to be able to work as low as .8 cc and maintain the charge with no variation, a 10th is huge in the 25 Auto, and I could use the entire list of pistol powders I have on hand. Right now I'm limited to the .12 cavity on the Micro Disk for these others and that just isn't low enough. Of course the 4 lbs of International is worth about 21,500 loads. My 25PLY will be worn out by then.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

I should have said 10 grains of Unique with my modified Adjustable Charge Bar. I modified it to drop small charges of TiteGroup which is does with +/- .1 grain. I have readings for the 45 acp and 308 win with the auto disk but nothing for the charge bar. |:
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”