Now I'm an Auto Drum Guy

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Now I'm an Auto Drum Guy

Post by Ranch Dog »

Did my first work with the Auto Drum setup on my Classic Turret for my 375 Win. I like it other than the cheesy way you set up the charge dropped. I would have liked the drum's adjusting screw to have a cc scale just like all their other powder delivery systems Lee uses. I mean, I was raised a Lee guy and it has always been knowing your VMD and using cc to deliver the desired charge. There is a certain amount of "precision" to that method and if it math isn't working out, something is wrong.
AutoDrum_setup_01.jpg
After fumbling with the quick way to set the charge I figured out a more precise way to set the charge based on VMD and CC. I used the information in the image below to get started but quickly figured out that 2.40 cc is the minimum at least with my Auto Disk. Any less and the drum is locked in place and will not rotate. I wanted to drop a charge that was 2.83 cc so I rotated the screw four complete turns and three flats (2.83-2.40) and my first charge was spot on.
AutoDrum_setup_02.jpg
I ran 30 to 40 charges adjusting the cc of the screw in and out and the Auto Drum does follow with appropriate charges to the grain weight of the charges dropped. Ah, precision achieved! With that done, I ran a ten string test to see how it performs with and without a powder baffle in the hopper.
AutoDrum_stats_Benchmark.jpg
I've been using the Perfect Powder Measure to drop these charges and it has been delivering a .13 grain SD with an .6 grain ES. So switching to the Auto Disk will be a win. I actually was looking at the Auto Drum with the thought of moving all my 7.62x39 loading for the Mini 30 to the Load-Master and it will work great. Because of the stats, it will be used with all my rifle cartridges as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

I wonder if the PPM's drum would fit the Auto Drum? That would be nice improvement.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:I wonder if the PPM's drum would fit the Auto Drum? That would be nice improvement.
Good question! I will give it a try later to day.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The brass drum and metering chamber assemby (#AM3279) from the Classic Powder Measure should work as you can use the Auto Drum's quick change drum.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

The BRASS DRUM AND METERING CHAMBER ASSEMBLY FOR CLASSIC POWDER MEASURE (code = 90868) doesn't work in the Auto Drum. It fits and will rotate when case activated but it's a loose fit and would certainly leak powder. That is a sad fact and seemingly a strange one as the molded nylon drums fit both measures but the brass drum doesn't.

As an non sequitur the SKU AM3279 for the Classic PM's drum doesn't pull the part up on the Lee site. You have to do this URL to get it to show up on the lee site: "http://leeprecision.com/brass-drum-and- ... embly.html. They are listing it for $45.00. :( Strange they don't list it under parts. To dang sad it is so expensive.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Oh well, so much for that idea. Thanks!
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Another change that the Auto Drum brought that is really nice is the Long & Short Rifle Charging Die rather than the old one size fits all die. The original would lay waste to a lot of long cases because it had no stop, you had to stop it by sight and feel.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Ranch Dog wrote:........ as it is another new Lee product I won't be buying.
RD I just had to rub this comment in! :lol:

But I sure am glad you got one and you posted this quote below in initial comment of this thread. This is a real time saver. THANKS :t
Ranch Dog wrote:
AutoDrum_setup_01.jpg
After fumbling with the quick way to set the charge I figured out a more precise way to set the charge based on VMD and CC. I used the information in the image below to get started but quickly figured out that 2.40 cc is the minimum at least with my Auto Disk. ............... I wanted to drop a charge that was 2.83 cc so I rotated the screw four complete turns and three flats (2.83-2.40) and my first charge was spot on.
The auto Drum is my go to PM for progressive reloading. Beats everything else by a long shot.

Thanks Again for figuring this out. +guns

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:........ as it is another new Lee product I won't be buying.
RD I just had to rub this comment in! :lol:
Yeap, never say never!

Actually, I found two on Lee's website on clearance as a reconditioned unit for $24.75. I ended up buying both; one for the Turret and one for the Load-Master.

I just finished loading a box of ammo for my 375 Win, the last 20 bullets cast 8 years ago, for use this hunting season.
AutoDrum_setup_375Win.jpg
I adjusted the key five "flats" which is .05 cc greater than the test I ran earlier today (2.83+.05=2.88). The 2.88 cc delivers a 40.5-grain load at my Benchmark's VMD with the Perfect Powder Measure. I tested a number of drops and they were on target or within a grain so I proceeded with the run. I checked ever fifth drop and here is what was delivered.
AutoDrum_setup_03.jpg
From experience with this straight wall case filled to 100% capacity with the heavy bullet, it isn't going to matter at 100 yards but I thought it would be closer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Did you try the PPM drum/micrometer in the Auto Drum? My PPM is in Sugar Land so I couldn't try it out. If that works I might replace the "Auto Drum" drums with PPM's.

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”