Now I'm an Auto Drum Guy

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Now I'm an Auto Drum Guy

Post by Ranch Dog »

Don't know why, impulse buying I suppose. Was on Lee's website and bought two "reconditioned' Auto Drums for the price of one so I thought heck, why not.

Having three of each, I'm perfectly happy with my Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Perfect Powder Measure. Thinking of the Auto Drums more for my Load Masters, which I will be starting on in about 60 to 90 days and their ability to deliver specific powder charges vs. the disk cavities. Looking at the instructions, I thought crap, it sure makes the Auto Disk look better.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Now I'm an Auto Drum Guy

Post by daboone »

I agree or at least in my opinion the Auto Drum is better suited to a progressive or turret. I really do like mine.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

I love mine on my turret. I just loaded 1,000, 380's with 3.9 grains of herco. I checked the weight of every 20'th load. Most were dead on, none were above 4 or below 3.8 .
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

farmerjim wrote:I love mine on my turret. I just loaded 1,000, 380's with 3.9 grains of herco. I checked the weight of every 20'th load. Most were dead on, none were above 4 or below 3.8 .
That's kind of why I questioned buying it. My Auto Disks deliver that variation with the powders I use. I honestly think that is the best that can be expected with volume measures.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

I have a collection of PMs. A Harrell, B&M, Lyman 55, JDS Quick Measure, and of course all of the very fine Lee measures. Not one of them perform better than the Lee measures. Not one of them does better than +/- .1 gr with most of the powders I've used. Not one of them give me dependable accuracy with powders like IMR4350 except that Quick Measure. Those kind of large extruded powders are a pain to work with. I stopped using 4350 because of that and now the Quick Measure sits idle.

My go to measures are the Lee's; the Perfect, Auto Disk, the new Classic and Auto Drum and sometimes even their Dippers. Because I got the Lee Classic PM I use it more than the PPM. It's easier to reset CCs for my favorite loads and the way I mounted it is better suited to my set up and use. For most I think it is kind of expensive. Its really nothing more than a heavy duty PPM but it is my favorite powder measure of all time.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Steve »

If they would have been a year sooner to market with the Auto Drum I would probably be running them on the LoadMaster instead of the RCBs and Hornady setups I use. they are nearly bullet proof and a real pleasure to use. Like everything else in this world I had to customize them a little to get them to work the way I want, but I like a little DIY.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

I have the auto disk and also get +- .1 grains with them. But there are gaps in what they will drop. I don't like to settle for .2 or .3 grains + _- .1 from what I want. Also I find that I get a lot more variation when I stack the disks. The drum stays close even on large volume drops.
My only complaint on it is one from way back on not being able to adjust the flair on my 9mm cases. I solved that problem by adding an M die, and not flaring with the powder through die.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

farmerjim wrote:I have the auto disk and also get +- .1 grains with them. But there are gaps in what they will drop. I don't like to settle for .2 or .3 grains + _- .1 from what I want. Also I find that I get a lot more variation when I stack the disks. The drum stays close even on large volume drops.
That is a very good point. Desired charges vs. what is available via the disks.
Michael
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

For rifle loads I use the Auto Drum Powder Measure, set very close to powder load I want. It's loaded into a sample cartridge, dumped onto a scale and then use dipper to add or take away as needed-works for me.
I am going to get the RCBS trickler and use the dipper for coffee.
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

I like the dippers too for Unique then trickle up to the 10 grains. But the adjustable charge bar worked well 3.5 grains of Bullseye once I modified it.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”